Shotgun capacity: Just what *can* I buy?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Shotgun capacity: Just what *can* I buy?

#21 Post by Blackstuff »

A 2+1 is a 5+1 thats had its magazine crimped to make it a Section 2/Shotgun Certificate gun. It wouldn't have a magazine on to remove. Although quite often uncrimped 5/4+1 guns have a removable magazine plug which reduces the capacity to 2+1. When i was buying my M2 there was someone playing merry hell with the RFD that they'd sold them an SGC version of the gun, it was red faces all around when the dealer then took the plug out :lol:

You'd either have to buy it as a 2+1 on an SGC, or as an uncrimped 5+1 on an FAC. You could only add the magazine extension to the FAC version legally.
DVC
SevenSixTwo

#22 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Thanks. I'm aware of what I can have here in NI but I'm just in the process of making a decision on what to get that I can keep on return to the mainland.
greenshoots

#23 Post by greenshoots »

As we mortals can't get S5

not unless you have your brococks on ticket

greenshoots
saddler

#24 Post by saddler »

Blackstuff wrote:You'd either have to buy it as a 2+1 on an SGC, or as an uncrimped 5+1 on an FAC. You could only add the magazine extension to the FAC version legally.
Not quite

You CAN add an extended magazine to the S.2 shotgun....but the fact that the main magazine tube will be crimped will mean that any extension will be purely cosmetic as the main part of the tube will only allow 2 cartridges - so any length past the space taken by the first 2 will be redundant fresh air
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#25 Post by Blackstuff »

saddler wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:You'd either have to buy it as a 2+1 on an SGC, or as an uncrimped 5+1 on an FAC. You could only add the magazine extension to the FAC version legally.
Not quite

You CAN add an extended magazine to the S.2 shotgun....but the fact that the main magazine tube will be crimped will mean that any extension will be purely cosmetic as the main part of the tube will only allow 2 cartridges - so any length past the space taken by the first 2 will be redundant fresh air
Well i didn't think anyone would be daft enough to put something on their gun that didn't add anything to its functionality but added weight and could potentially get them in trouble! :lol:
DVC
SevenSixTwo

#26 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Right..... I'm no clearer, tbh! :)

I've got my eye on an 8+1 and a 5+1 which I know I can have here. How easy will it be to keep the above capacities on returning to the Mainland - if I only do clays.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#27 Post by Blackstuff »

Zero.

The only two 'good reasons' for a 'hi-capacity' shotgun on the mainland is PSG/TSG and pest control. If the clay club you're visiting operates under CPSA rules you're not even allowed to put 3 cartridges in the gun let alone 9!
DVC
SevenSixTwo

#28 Post by SevenSixTwo »

That settles it then. I'll get it in 2+1 config - can always go up but not down. :)
JSHarris

#29 Post by JSHarris »

HI 762,

if your applying for an FAC in NI and want a hi-cap shotgun ( more than 2+1) you may encounter some resistance from the issuing authority. The guidance from the Home Office which I generally refer to does not apply due to the devolved powers but I suggest you ask for it for:
Target Shooting ( Target Shotgun events)
Clay Shooting ( as another use and to obviate the need for another gun)
Vermin ( if you have land to shoot over)
Practical Shooting as a member of NIPSC ( the governing body for IPSC shooting in NI)- www.ipscni.com ( I know the RD of NI is happy to promote IPSC shotgun )

when you come to the mainland you should not have any problems retaining it on an FAC if you are a member of a club that shoots target or practical shotgun ( there are many) or the NRA or F4i
Polchraine

#30 Post by Polchraine »

greenshoots wrote:
As we mortals can't get S5

not unless you have your brococks on ticket

greenshoots

:good: :shakeshout:

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.