Looking to start practical shotgun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

techguy

Re: Looking to start practical shotgun

#21 Post by techguy »

dromia wrote:
Mike357 wrote:UKPSA seems to be imploding and tearing itself to bits from the inside.

I haven't seen a good word said about them and it can only be a matter of time that there is a UK branch of the IPSC. Northern Ireland have just gone that way.

So what is happening within UKPSA the?

Another "national" body so wrapped up in itself that it fails to do its role and support shooting and shooters?
Quick summary: not listening to the members, lots of bad feeling surrounding the treatment of some (now ex) members, lots of members have left, too much moderation on the UKPSA forum and it's just WAY too uptight. You can't disagree with the council without finding yourself moderated/banned/ex-communicated.

They *could* have had a working relationship with F4i for the good of PSG in the UK, but I think that ship has now sadly sailed :(

As a side note, F4i have been invited over to one of the clubs in the new NI IPSC region to participate in pistol shooting next year.

A quote from the F4i forum for the 2012 PSG season.
UKPSA - 61 Shooters & 4 Matches
F4i - 168 Shooters & 8 Matches
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

Thank you techguy.

Sounds like the prerequisite standard for a "national" shooting body. :cry:

F4i????

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
techguy

#23 Post by techguy »

http://four4islands.org/

A bunch of UKPSA members who were unhappy with how UKPSA was going went off and set up their own organisation. Their motto is 'Practical Shooting without the NonsenseMore Venues – More matches – More fun'

We have current UKPSA members participating in our shoots, and we are putting on a multi-gun series next year as well as the PSG one.

Oh, and the forum is totally open. You don't need to be a member, or register to read all of the forum (much like here)
Last edited by techguy on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#24 Post by dodgyrog »

techguy wrote:
dodgyrog wrote:Join the UKPSA and do their training course
Totally not necessary. There's more PSG matches going on outside the UKPSA than in it.

Being a member of the UKPSA is also no longer a requirement for most forces for a S1 shotgun for PSG.

Each to their own of course :)
Not necessary - maybe!
Good sense - absolutely!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
techguy

#25 Post by techguy »

I'd disagree that it's good sense. It's far too cliquey, far too closed, and far too much in the way of politics for me to ever feel comfortable there.

Yes, I'm a current UKPSA member.

Edited to add: I meant that I don't think it's necessary to join, or even good sense to join. I think the shotgun course is good sense if you are new to practical, but you do not need to be a member to take this course.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#26 Post by dodgyrog »

techguy wrote:I'd disagree that it's good sense. It's far too cliquey, far too closed, and far too much in the way of politics for me to ever feel comfortable there.

Edited to add: I meant that I don't think it's necessary to join, or even good sense to join. I think the shotgun course is good sense if you are new to practical, but you do not need to be a member to take this course.
You and I are never going to agree on this one, are we?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
greenshoots

#27 Post by greenshoots »

check out the lpa shotgun ghost ring sight i have one on my marlin 444 nice bit of kit

greenshoots
techguy

#28 Post by techguy »

dodgyrog wrote:
techguy wrote:I'd disagree that it's good sense. It's far too cliquey, far too closed, and far too much in the way of politics for me to ever feel comfortable there.

You and I are never going to agree on this one, are we?
Probably not!

I'm happy to agree to disagree; everyone is different and everyone has different expectations and requirements from any club or association. All we can do as practical shooters is give options and support and let the individual decide, right?
techguy

#29 Post by techguy »

greenshoots wrote:check out the lpa shotgun ghost ring sight i have one on my marlin 444 nice bit of kit

greenshoots
Ghost rings are good for target shotgun, but slower target acquisition for PSG. Bead sights, and tru-glo type sights are quicker...But your mileage may vary of course.

The great thing about PSG is there are loads of ways of doing the same thing; just try it out and see what works for you!
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#30 Post by Blackstuff »

techguy wrote:
A quote from the F4i forum for the 2012 PSG season.
UKPSA - 61 Shooters & 4 Matches
F4i - 168 Shooters & 8 Matches
??? I've shot 13 UKPSA matches this year, missed at least 8 and there's still 2 to go. I know UKPSA has its shirt comings but the schism between 4islands and them has blame on both sides and 99% of it is politics/personal problems and nothing to do with shooting
DVC