Strath at Cawdor 04/05/14

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

DW58

Re: Strath at Cawdor 04/05/14

#21 Post by DW58 »

Hopefully we'll be there too.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#22 Post by meles meles »

How accurate it is, what the rounds feed like, how smooth the bolt is or isn't... We like our K31 straight pull, so are also interested in other similar actions...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#23 Post by Sandgroper »

meles meles wrote:How accurate it is, what the rounds feed like, how smooth the bolt is or isn't... We like our K31 straight pull, so are also interested in other similar actions...
Accuracy is relative: Shooting Bulgarian WW2 surplus (MG Ammo) + (poor) iron sights + my weak right eye = pretty average accuracy. However, before I bought it, Dromia had a video of him shooting it and the accuracy was pretty impressive.

How does it compare to the K31, no idea. Yesterday, I managed to get off 17 rounds in a minute - which included me having to clear a feeding failure. I'm not sure what caused it but I think it was because the previous clip didn't fall free and stopped the bolt from picking up a round by hold the loaded clip down - so IMO not a fault of the rifle, as such. I think I could get off 20-25rds in a minute without to much practice. The Austrian Landser slang for it was "Ruck-Zuck" or "Right now."

I like it because it's light, fast (and fun) to shoot. Would I have a K31 after shooting the Steyr? No. The K31 is soulless (IMO) compared to the Steyr - too easy, too well made and no fun. Another thing, the Steyr has been proven in battle during WW1 and 2 - can you say the same for the K31?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
dave_303

#24 Post by dave_303 »

20-25rpm, that pretty impressive, I guess the clip loading must make reloads pretty smooth as there's nothing to remove.
How easy it to get hold of ammo Grant?
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#25 Post by Sandgroper »

dave_303 wrote:20-25rpm, that pretty impressive, I guess the clip loading must make reloads pretty smooth as there's nothing to remove.
How easy it to get hold of ammo Grant?
It's a rough guess but I think it's doable - from I've read 35 rpm was Austrian Army standard. I must try and the video uploaded and you can see the reloading for yourself.

Prvi makes the ammo and Kranks stock it. Bulgarian surplus is still available but Adam says stocks are drying up.

DW58

#26 Post by DW58 »

I'm looking forward to seeing the Steyr - I've got a bit of a thing about straight-pull rifles.
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#27 Post by Sandgroper »

DW58 wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing the Steyr - I've got a bit of a thing about straight-pull rifles.
Any excuse to wake up the locals! clapclap

DW58

#28 Post by DW58 »

Isn't it more a case of "The local" or not far off it :lol: