Short Siberia - ALWAYS fully booked during weekdays.

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Dougan

Re: Short Siberia - ALWAYS fully booked during weekdays.

#21 Post by Dougan »

Blu wrote:Sorry mate but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one (what's new eh?). Have a good one.

Blu :twisted:
No, sorry mate, you're not getting away that easily ( razz )

All this 'from the public purse' stuff - I'm not sure exactly who pays for it directly, but as the nuclear energy industry is subsidised in many ways by the tax payer, then some of it will be 'from the public purse' - And it is very much in the public interest; or don't you think that power stations and waste sites should be guarded?

And as for who works when - SS is now fully booked at the weekends, so the likes of me, who work Monday to Friday, don't get a chance to casually book 200 yards at all!...But I'm not moaning about it or blaming the NRA for it...
M99

#22 Post by M99 »

Blu wrote:Dougan,
There is a 'time frame'...I'm not sure of the details, but I believe the range is theirs Monday to Thursday, indefinitely
Indefinitely, really? And bought and paid for with funds from the public purse. Hey mate if you and the membership are okay with that whatever floats your boat. As I said in my last post I believe there are other ways of raising funds for improvements, I see it done all the time.
Some folk weren't happy with the decision (some never are)

Could be that those folks are the ones who have their days off during the week and are the folks that work weekends, not everyone works Monday to Friday mate.

Sorry mate but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one (what's new eh?). Have a good one.

Blu

Apprently those who moaned about losing short siberia durimg the week the loudest, shot there maybe once or twice a year! SS bookings showed very low useage during the week, so it was a no brainer to have guaranteed income from The police as opposed to the odd ad hoc booking from the moaners. SS is still available most Fridays for bookings.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#23 Post by Dark Skies »

MiLisCer wrote:
Blu wrote:Dougan,
There is a 'time frame'...I'm not sure of the details, but I believe the range is theirs Monday to Thursday, indefinitely
Indefinitely, really? And bought and paid for with funds from the public purse. Hey mate if you and the membership are okay with that whatever floats your boat. As I said in my last post I believe there are other ways of raising funds for improvements, I see it done all the time.
Some folk weren't happy with the decision (some never are)

Could be that those folks are the ones who have their days off during the week and are the folks that work weekends, not everyone works Monday to Friday mate.

Sorry mate but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one (what's new eh?). Have a good one.

Blu

Apprently those who moaned about losing short siberia durimg the week the loudest, shot there maybe once or twice a year! SS bookings showed very low useage during the week, so it was a no brainer to have guaranteed income from The police as opposed to the odd ad hoc booking from the moaners. SS is still available most Fridays for bookings.
They, like me, probably live quite some distance away and find it difficult to shoot as often as you enjoy. The NRA still charge us for a full year's membership though - for which we get a boring glossy magazine in the post and the occasional opportunity to give the NRA almost £40 on the occasions when we can find time for a few hours shooting.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Mr_Logic

#24 Post by Mr_Logic »

Sorry Dark Skies, you can't have it both ways. Short siberia is a 100 or 200 yard rifle range; those facilities are provided on Century during the week. Benches are available for those who need them; it's quite common and our club always requests one. There is always one delivered. There is no stigma attached; worries about 'special needs' are unfounded - it's a non-issue. The pathways round from the Century short range bit to the butts are perfectly good, the additional distance is not great.

The money which has come in has helped Short Siberia immensely, and it is still available on weekends. The new portacabin toilets are also useful for the short range Century shooters, so we the community are seeing the benefits of this deal; it definitely IS in our interests, and the NRA has tried very hard to maintain all the facilities of Short Siberia but on Century. They are still very disorganised and that is still a right royal PITA, but this is not worth bitching about - just get on and enjoy it.
Blu

#25 Post by Blu »

Okay guys fair enough, I get it. Just seems to me a range is no go for members 4 days of the week indefinitely. Doesn't matter if it's unused or not I just think the option to use it should be there if the members want to use it. I also think there are better ways to raise funds than the option taken. Indefinitely is a hell of a long time is all.

As I said earlier, if the membership is happy with it then more power to you.

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#26 Post by Dark Skies »

Mr_Logic wrote:Sorry Dark Skies, you can't have it both ways. Short siberia is a 100 or 200 yard rifle range; those facilities are provided on Century during the week. Benches are available for those who need them; it's quite common and our club always requests one. There is always one delivered. There is no stigma attached; worries about 'special needs' are unfounded - it's a non-issue. The pathways round from the Century short range bit to the butts are perfectly good, the additional distance is not great.

The money which has come in has helped Short Siberia immensely, and it is still available on weekends. The new portacabin toilets are also useful for the short range Century shooters, so we the community are seeing the benefits of this deal; it definitely IS in our interests, and the NRA has tried very hard to maintain all the facilities of Short Siberia but on Century. They are still very disorganised and that is still a right royal PITA, but this is not worth bitching about - just get on and enjoy it.
Weirdly the last thing that I ever worried about at Bisley was the quality of the bogs. Yet a large portion of the thread has focused on them.

Perhaps 'the additional distance' might seem greater to you if you had several discs along the length of your spine giving you gyp. Anyhow it doesn't matter. I've not been getting value for money for some years and, frankly, all the hoops one has to jump through to shoot on MOD land, the traveling, the expense, the horrendous standstill traffic jam on the return journey and not being able to shoot on the range I prefer when its convenient means I'll not be renewing at the end of the year. I'm sure I'll miss the now excellent toilets.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Mr_Logic

#27 Post by Mr_Logic »

The traffic in that area is worth bitching about. Frankly, if short range is your thing, then there are plenty of places better than Bisley.

Load testing is all I do at short range, so Stickledown is why I put up with that traffic!
Christel
Site Admin

#28 Post by Christel »

Mr_Logic wrote: There is no stigma attached; worries about 'special needs' are unfounded - it's a non-issue.
I would certainly disagree, the disabled access could and should be a lot better.
The CEO was taken to task during the Imperial over exactly this subject.
Mr_Logic

#29 Post by Mr_Logic »

My point is about asking for a bench; there is no stigma attached to it. It is true that disabled access on Century isn't great, but Dark Skies says he doesn't consider that he is disabled and does not want to ask about it.
Dougan

#30 Post by Dougan »

There's no 'stigma' to needing a bit of assistance, whether you're officially disabled or just getting on a bit - As I said before my dad can't shoot prone any more, so our club always book a bench - the chairs they supply are the wrong height for him, so I bought him an adjustable stool...it's one of those medical ones for sitting in the shower; which as it turns out is perfect for the job as it is lightweight, sturdy, has wide rubber feet and is height adjustable...

...the only thing is that it does clearly look like an invalid stool (white and steel)...so I suggested that he might want to paint it a more appropriate color...his response; "I couldn't give a toss!" tongueout

Also about the NRA benches - There has been the odd occasion when it's not been there, but a quick call to the range office is all it takes - And recently we got to the range to find the group next to us using it (they are very handy for load testing classics)...my dad wasn't shooting 'til later so we didn't say anything, and when the time came that he needed it, we just said that we'd booked it and needed to use it...there was no issue at all.