New GSG 1911 - £495

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

greenshoots

Re: New GSG 1911 - £495

#21 Post by greenshoots »

Code: Select all

And I wish I could still use iron sights.... Now I can see the sights clearly , or the targets clearly. Unfortunately not at the same time!

yep old age is wonderful :D

greenshoots
38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

#22 Post by 38Super »

sharps4065 wrote:First thing you need to do with a GSG is replace the barrel bushing ....
That's interesting. Richard at TSC said don't bother with a bushing just get the breech block screw helicoiled??
So when you ran the gun dry (count your shots!) the slide traveled too far forward and pinched the back of the mag so you had to pull the mag out rather than let gravity take it's course.
Shouldn't the slide lock open on an empty mag? Richard mentioned they had another one in waiting for a replacement slide from Edgars which was taking a long time.
My grip safety is pinned, just like it was back in the day so I don't have a problem with it.
Have you taken out the mag safety and the firing pin block as well?
And I wish I could still use iron sights.... Now I can see the sights clearly , or the targets clearly. Unfortunately not at the same time!
Red dot sights are the way forward. shakeshout
sharps4065

#23 Post by sharps4065 »

Helicoil is one way to go but it still means that the barrel to bushing fit is sloppy, not that it probably matters if you have fitted a helicoil. Both methods work fine.

Yes, the slide does lock back. Unfortunately once the notch has enlarged through use it locks far enough forward for the bottom of the breech face to lock the mag in. That's why my first slide was replaced. Wonder if Richard could/would replace my second.

It's now a Series 70... lol It did improve performance.

Don't know about wonderful.... Takes me all night to do what I used to do all night :bad: Mind you, old age + bad eyesight = keep C More and Shield afloat lol
safetyfirst

#24 Post by safetyfirst »

A lot of these light strikes on LBP's seem to be caused by failure to go fully into battery. That's why a recock and firing solves the issue. I recorded some that had regular light strikes using a 120fps camera and you could clearly see the hammer sending the slide that last 1/16th into battery and the second pull of the trigger would always work as the gun was then in battery.

It's that balance between slide weight, return spring tension and chamber size that seems to be the problem for these guns.

Everyone that I know of though had improved with age and round count. The moving parts find their homes and wear smooth areas where there was once friction that slowed slides down etc.

The best cure is timed mag dumps. ;)
38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

#25 Post by 38Super »

Thanks Sharps. I'm with you now about where the problem is. If only someone could get the aftermarket slides from CWA wallhead .

I ran a couple of mags physically pushing the slide forward after each shot and I still managed to get a light strike so I'm not sure the out of battery thing was the only problem with the one I was using.
sharps4065

#26 Post by sharps4065 »

SafetyFirst:

My GSG was one of the early ones with thick black coating on, sounded like 2 match boxes running together. Sat down with grinding paste in the rails as I used to in the old days when my slides came back from Stockbridge after tightening, just racking away to polish and bed them. Then with 5/30 fully synthetic on the rails its now slick as the proverbial.

I may get one light strike now every 500/1000 rounds now (that's called tempting fate :squirrel: ). BUT I do run .22 boresnake through the mag well into and through the barrel after every stage. AND wipe off excess wax on the Blazer. If anything will cause a problem it's a waxy round not chambering properly to depth in a dirty chamber. The pistol only gets a strip clean after about 1000 rounds now.

38Super:

Yes, Those ExoSkeleton slides would be the way to go. God rot ITAR and all it's supporters! Neal at Suffolk Rifle Co. says he's going to bring some in but I get the impression he wants firm orders for 6 or more of them before ordering from CWA. But I've not been told how much they're going to be except "expensive". Which is cart and which is horse?????

I get more light strikes from CCI than other makes which is the same as I found with their LR primers. On the other hand I shoot more .22 CCI for PP and mini rifle than other brands so maybe the ratios are no worse...
Kungfugerbil

#27 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Just seen on Facebook that Neal at Suffolk Rifle has put up a post with some pretty pictures and mentions he has a few in stock at a tenner off the list price. They look ok actually - I'm tempted to give one a go. I don't mind a bit of furtling to get things running well :)
phaedra1106

#28 Post by phaedra1106 »

A lot of what has been written on this thread relates to the older model, it would be nice if anyone with the new version could submit a users report on it?.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
saddler

#29 Post by saddler »

safetyfirst wrote:The best cure is timed mag dumps. ;)
Also handy as a method of preventative maintenance....and for giving the club "old maids" something else to make a fuss about
sharps4065

#30 Post by sharps4065 »

phaedra1106 wrote:A lot of what has been written on this thread relates to the older model, it would be nice if anyone with the new version could submit a users report on it?.
Wonder how much difference there actually will be...? There IS one major improvement that I can see from the pics and has been my biggest bug bear about the older version. The slide stop. It appears to have a steel pin strengthening it.

And hands up who's never run a mag dry in a match unintentionally....!