New GSG 1911 - First impressions

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

sidawson

Re: New GSG 1911 - First impressions

#21 Post by sidawson »

morph007 wrote:Afternoon all,

Pick one of these up a few days ago and loving it. Just need more mags, any suggestions of where to pick some up cheaper then £40?
They are 25 quid at mcavoys I got an extra one while there only thing is the base pad isn't as deep with the extra one
sidawson

#22 Post by sidawson »

Les wrote:That's a nice looking pistol. I keep playing the "yes/no - should I/shouldn't I" game, but I'm really starting to get seriously tempted. :twisted:
I should be down wdrpc with mine on Tuesday afternoon if you go there then
38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

#23 Post by 38Super »

Today's moral is don't use something in a comp which has not been thoroughly tested first or one will fall flat on ones face. wallhead

I now know that more than 12 rounds in GSG mag doesn't work well. aaarggh

On the plus side the scope is still working and secure after 400 rounds. Threadlock is fab goodjob
morph007
Home club or Range: Kentucky Firearms club

#24 Post by morph007 »

sidawson wrote: They are 25 quid at mcavoys I got an extra one while there only thing is the base pad isn't as deep with the extra one
sidawson, cheers for the info.... :good:
If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
Brookers

#25 Post by Brookers »

38Super wrote:Today's moral is don't use something in a comp which has not been thoroughly tested first or one will fall flat on ones face. wallhead

I now know that more than 12 rounds in GSG mag doesn't work well. aaarggh

On the plus side the scope is still working and secure after 400 rounds. Threadlock is fab goodjob
At least it was working before you left the range. Even if it was after the score sheets had been handed in.
If you mess about with it before the Bisley match you had better test it otherwise I am really going to rip the p*** out of you troutslapping today you had my sympathy, I hope you have learned your lesson wtf

I think you will improve the way the gun transitions if you loose that dummy surpressor off the barrel. Every little bit of weight is mass that you have to move then stop again as you transition between targets.

Brookers
morph007
Home club or Range: Kentucky Firearms club

#26 Post by morph007 »

38Super wrote:Fitting the sight was a bit of a pain as I didn't know that it has a 'Novak' dovetail not a standard one. I'm hoping that fitting the red dot isn't going to affect the reliability. fingerscrossed
Hi 38Super, maybe it's me but I cant find any Novak Red dot mounts, where did you get yours.

Cheers
If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#27 Post by Les »

sidawson wrote:
Les wrote:That's a nice looking pistol. I keep playing the "yes/no - should I/shouldn't I" game, but I'm really starting to get seriously tempted. :twisted:
I should be down wdrpc with mine on Tuesday afternoon if you go there then
I am indeed .... I look forward to seeing it. :good:
phaedra1106

#28 Post by phaedra1106 »

morph007 wrote:Hi 38Super, maybe it's me but I cant find any Novak Red dot mounts, where did you get yours.
http://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf ... /296000137
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
38Super

#29 Post by 38Super »

phaedra1106 wrote:
morph007 wrote:Hi 38Super, maybe it's me but I cant find any Novak Red dot mounts, where did you get yours.
http://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf ... /296000137
If you use this type with the centre locking screw make sure you use a spreader plate as per the factory rearsight otherwise you can bend the slide metal enough to interfere with the firing pin causing light strikes.
38Super

#30 Post by 38Super »

Brookers wrote:At least it was working before you left the range. Even if it was after the score sheets had been handed in.
If you mess about with it before the Bisley match you had better test it otherwise I am really going to rip the p*** out of you troutslapping today you had my sympathy, I hope you have learned your lesson wtf

I think you will improve the way the gun transitions if you loose that dummy surpressor off the barrel. Every little bit of weight is mass that you have to move then stop again as you transition between targets.
I know what you mean about the shroud. I tried shooting without it but didn't like the balance as much.

No other fettling is planned at this stage other than seeing if I can sort the 13th round feed issue and possibly a bevelled magwell.

The only other thing to do is practice as much as possible.