Recommend Badger a huntin' rifle...

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
DL.

Re: Recommend Badger a huntin' rifle...

#21 Post by DL. »

Countryman wrote:
tackb wrote:try this , a super rifle in a great calibre and a good price to boot!

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/s ... 7mm-08-R-H
Good gun and good price and a buddy of a buddy to boot!
Well tell your friend of a friend to clean his rifle, because the bore looks like it's dirty in the pic. That shouldn't be the case for a rifle that's been sitting in the cabinet unused for years. If it is then there's every chance he's a 'don't clean your bore sort of guy'.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

If by a Lee No4 you mean Lee Enfield No4 rifle then I wouldn't want to shoot foxes with it either.

However I am very happy and successful at doing so with Lee Enfield No 1 action based sporters in 22 Hornet and 6mm Remington. They are as far removed from the original rifles as the Tikbergmerksaks, again you choose to compare apples and oranges. The Lee Enfields were made as battle rifles, the rifles I own and use on Enfield actions are made as sporters, you are not comparing like with like and I wonder if you actually know the rifles I am talking about.

The Parker Hales are made on a Mauser action which still forms the basis of many modern sporters and the BSA sporting actions are quality developments of the bolt action rifle.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
DOGGER2UK

#23 Post by DOGGER2UK »

I’m with badger on this one…a Charlie G makes an excellent deer rifle.
Taking Dromia’s advice I spent a bit on some new optics for the old girl and took it outside to test the grouping.

Pining a target to the old wood shed near the garage I took careful aim and squeezed the trigger. Just as badger predicted it popped out the centre of the target.
Bit of a shame about the wife’s car that was in what remains of the garage ..I’m sure a bit of paint work will have it looking like new in no time, once I’ve found the passenger door and a couple of wheels.

So off to the woods to stalk a deer.

As I said earlier the Charlie G makes an excellent deer rifle and is also a labour saving device as well.
Once the smoke had cleared I found that CG had saved me a lot of time in not having to gralloch the beast.
There was also a little damage to the carcass…well quite a lot actually as I could only find an ear, so again a saving in time an effort not having to drag the beast home, I could just pop it into my pocket.
Anyone got a good recipe deer ear? Think I’ll put it on the bbq and sell it to Brock in the guise of a venison burger…he loves his grub!!
Charlie G.jpg
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#24 Post by meles meles »

Oh Dromia wouldn't approve of that version of the Charlie G ! Back in his day it was the old Mk 1a with wooden grips and a steel tube. None of this filament overwound aramid stuff with a thermal imager on top !
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Countryman

#25 Post by Countryman »

DL. wrote:
Countryman wrote:
tackb wrote:try this , a super rifle in a great calibre and a good price to boot!

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/s ... 7mm-08-R-H
Good gun and good price and a buddy of a buddy to boot!
Well tell your friend of a friend to clean his rifle, because the bore looks like it's dirty in the pic. That shouldn't be the case for a rifle that's been sitting in the cabinet unused for years. If it is then there's every chance he's a 'don't clean your bore sort of guy'.
I would chap but meanwhile it's now sale agreed.

Please see my earlier point on desirability.
Countryman

#26 Post by Countryman »

dromia wrote:If by a Lee No4 you mean Lee Enfield No4 rifle then I wouldn't want to shoot foxes with it either.

However I am very happy and successful at doing so with Lee Enfield No 1 action based sporters in 22 Hornet and 6mm Remington. They are as far removed from the original rifles as the Tikbergmerksaks, again you choose to compare apples and oranges. The Lee Enfields were made as battle rifles, the rifles I own and use on Enfield actions are made as sporters, you are not comparing like with like and I wonder if you actually know the rifles I am talking about.

The Parker Hales are made on a Mauser action which still forms the basis of many modern sporters and the BSA sporting actions are quality developments of the bolt action rifle.
Dromia whilst I'm clearly considerably younger than you, commensurately less experienced and only started shooting in the 70's I do have a fair working knowledge of firearms.

Also....

My generation Googles what it doesn't know.

My Lee is conditioned for Deer and AOLQ. I was tempted to take it to Canada for Black Bear this September but again I would rather pack something lighter, that can handle a knock without me crying.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#27 Post by meles meles »

Now oomans, back on topic...

*cracks whip*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
DL.

#28 Post by DL. »

meles meles wrote:Now oomans, back on topic...

*cracks whip*
6.5 is a compromise - you could do better by upgrading to 7mm.
Browning_grrl

#29 Post by Browning_grrl »

I am curious on a couple of points, hope y'all don't consider these to be 'nuisance' questions, coz they're legit:

- when y'all use the term 'stalking' (where I would say 'hunting'), does its use imply only deer, or is it used in a wider sense for all hunting?

- are all your deer hunts done in open country over ranges longer than, say, 100 meters? Or, is there hunting in much closer, denser cover, where, over here, I might well use a 12 ga with a scope and fully-rifled barrel with slugs?

e.g. (one of my deer rigs...)

Thanks. :)
saddler

#30 Post by saddler »

Browning_grrl wrote:I am curious on a couple of points, hope y'all don't consider these to be 'nuisance' questions, coz they're legit:

- when y'all use the term 'stalking' (where I would say 'hunting'), does its use imply only deer, or is it used in a wider sense for all hunting?

- are all your deer hunts done in open country over ranges longer than, say, 100 meters? Or, is there hunting in much closer, denser cover, where, over here, I might well use a 12 ga with a scope and fully-rifled barrel with slugs?

e.g. (one of my deer rigs...)

Thanks. :)
A pump action with rifled barrel = 5 years prison
Slug hunting not legal in the UK; use of shorguns for deer shooting is VERY restricted....basically land-owners using buckshot in VERY limited scenarios ONLY