Question for the Cap 'n' Balling Ladies and Gentlemen

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Question for the Cap 'n' Balling Ladies and Gentlemen

#21 Post by dromia »

Tweak your load and work on your technique, acccurate pistol shooting is not easy and takes practice, and you will soon be holding the black on a 25yrd target.

At least. :good:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Tower75

#22 Post by Tower75 »

Tweak your load
More powder? I agree!
Tower75

#23 Post by Tower75 »

ovenpaa wrote:Sounds like a good days shooting, time to post a picture of it?
Annoyingly, we didn't take any. Doh :cool2:
Doz

#24 Post by Doz »

Tower.75 wrote:More powder? I agree!
Not necessarily - especially if you were
shooting high all day
! ;)
Tower75

#25 Post by Tower75 »

Well, I didn't want the Indians to get me, did I?

I was using 30 grains. Maybe if I knock it back to 25
Doz

#26 Post by Doz »

Tower.75 wrote:Well, I didn't want the Indians to get me, did I?

I was using 30 grains. Maybe if I knock it back to 25
:lol: Nope pardner, sure don't!

30 grains sounds like a lot to me but I don't know what powder you're using - I only use 15gn of Swiss #2 in both my .44 colt and Rogers and Spencer at 25yds but it's bl**dy good powder. The Colt still shoots high, I just aim very low. The Rogers will put them all in the nine and ten using that load with the POA about an inch below the black.
rufrdr

#27 Post by rufrdr »

Tower.75 wrote:Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased a .44 Pieta "Colt" Navy/Army revolver and I took it down the range the other day, it was 50 yards – wasn’t expecting much. I just wanted to try it out and, you know, get that warm and fuzzy feeling from using a handgun. I was actually surprised that with a 5 inch barrel the revolver was actually putting holes in the board.

However, my God, it’s a fiddly little thing. I put all the quirks down to user-error. Every 3rd shot seemed to jam because either a cap lodged in the mechanism or the lubricant I was using to cover the chambers -lard- would gunk up the cylinder, and after 6-shots the handgun was caked in the stuff – it looked like some kind of culinary disaster. I’d be the pride of the US cavalry, wouldn’t I?

Maybe I used too much. How much lube do you need, I was making sure that the entire chamber mouth was covered over with lard. Also, how did people of yonder age handle this. I doubt that officers would bother with lubing the chambers after a reload with swarms of enemy brandishing bayonets and a crazy look in their eye were bearing down on them.

What do you use?

Would it be better to use wads behind the balls? If so, what kind?

Regards
T
The standard load for the U.S. or C.S.A. during the civil war was a combustible cartridge and a tight fitting ball. The standard load out was a revolver, saber, and carbine. Sometimes two revolvers were carried. Once the revolver was empty, that was it until the scuffle died down enough to reload. Getting the cartridge stuffed in isn't as big a problem as getting the cap on the nipple. I have a Ruger Old Army and use white automotive grease because that is what I have at hand. Works ok for preventing flash overs. The beeswax mentioned by others is a great idea, I will have to try that. Shooting the Old Army on summer's day when the temperature is over 100F and the grease is thinning out and getting everywhere makes for an intersting day. The beeswax might stand up better to the heat. If you use a greased wad, that goes on top of the ball. I use Pyrodex pellets for the convenience of it at the range.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Tower75

#28 Post by Tower75 »

I've heard of the revolver paper-cartridge idea, but I did not know it was a "standard" practice in the USCW.

A big :good: for beeswax. Since posting I have started using it. I punch out circle wads and load; powder, bw wad, ball. Works great. No mess, not fuss.

The only thing that annoys me about my "Colt" and the general Colt design is it too easy for the fired caps to jam up the action. I normally only get through 3 or 4 shots before a cap jams the cylinder.
Sim G

#29 Post by Sim G »

Tower.75 wrote:.
The only thing that annoys me about my "Colt" and the general Colt design is it too easy for the fired caps to jam up the action. I normally only get through 3 or 4 shots before a cap jams the cylinder.

Cock the hammer fairly vigourously, keeping the revolver tilted a little to the right.....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Tower75

#30 Post by Tower75 »

Thanks, Sim G.

I'll give that a go. :good: