Deer calibre

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mr_Logic

Re: Deer calibre

#21 Post by Mr_Logic »

well, got the .308 and removed everything, remounted mounts, different scope, double checked to get a comfy firing position, so will try it again tomorrow. Have shot all manner of stuff through it, so if no joy I think it might well have to be .260 Rem, since cheaper brass seems to be available - for the 5 or so roe a year I'll shoot, I don't see buying expensive stuff!
Jenks

#22 Post by Jenks »

I have owned, and shot Deer with 308win. 270win and 6.5x55se all have done the job perfectly. My personal preference has to be the venerable Swede.

Jenks
Ovenpaa

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

Jenks, which of the three gives the least recoil (Given the light platforms) in your opinion?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Scotsgun

#24 Post by Scotsgun »

ovenpaa wrote:Jenks, which of the three gives the least recoil (Given the light platforms) in your opinion?
That's an easy one.....the 6.5 swede. The loudest will tend to be the .270 and the 308 giving the biggest thump to the shoulder.
DaveT

#25 Post by DaveT »

For what its worth my ten-pence-worth goes to the 260 Rem..... Why?

I have shot deer with 308 & 270 Win very happily but my 260 Rem has MUCH lighter recoil and is noticeably more accurate... at least for me.

Its nothing to do with 'fashions' but rather pure 'shootability'..... the recoil of the 308 is no big deal but certainly more of a thump than the 260 , the 270 was a fairly light gun and did kick a bit (a LOT) , the 260 does the same job for me on Roe & Fallow (No Reds around here!) and is more comfortable to shoot therefore I simply shoot better with it.

Everyone will have a preference..... diversity good!!!