Steyr SSG .308, should I buy this?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

R.G.C

Re: Steyr SSG .308, should I buy this?

#21 Post by R.G.C »

Alpha1 wrote:I can only agree with the previous poster 100%.
I bought mine with factory fitted rings and a Khales scope it came with a test target shot at the factory that is one ragged hole. I have done nothing to it except shoot it. It just makes me smile every time I shoot it. It is so accurate at long distances its scary.

Rear locking, thats all!!

R.G.C
R.G.C

#22 Post by R.G.C »

I have done it twice and it is a real work and would reveal very costly should you have it made.

Need to be rebored and new inside threads made. Materua us hard on cutting tools and need skill tot hread correctly. As the barrel is also hammered in te receiver, the front face is veryy uneven and need to be faced as well.

Original barrels are hammered. I have no idea about the life of the .308, but the two in question were .243Win and went both off accuracy very suddenly affer a few 000s rounds.

Althouh being a rear locker allowing a much shorter bolt pull; I do not like the interrupted threads bolting principle, makng the bolting surface at an angle and it is to be carefull to always have the bolt very well closed to maintain the same headspace from shot to shot.

R.G.C[/quote]

To be fair,I forgot to mention a point of importance in favor of the interrupted threads bolting: With this design, the primary extraction is a constant on the whole 60° ritation, and this helps greaatly smoothen the bolt lift.

R.G.C
ChrisF

#23 Post by ChrisF »

I know that the guys Trialling sniper rifles in 1991 , did not think much of the Steyr SSG PII , I talked to a couple of the snipers involved in the trials , and am passing on what they said about dry/wet zero shift .

As to the stock breaking , I donot have to rely on some ones else's option or word , as they had photos of the rifle showing the broken stock up on the wall at the School of Inf , they said it got broke while doing a stalking exercise , opps .

From the rifles in the trial ( rem700s , Mauser , Sako , AI & HS-Precision , SSG PII etc ) , only the AI PM/L96 & the Sako TRG-21 where considered acceptable replacements for the old PH M82/C3 rifles .

The HS was the breakdown model the rep said the detach mech was unbreakage , so the boys assembled & dissembled it until they broke It at around 900 cycles , opps .

As to the other flaws , YEAp , got one, and the mag has not been used much & has a number of cracks in the plastic around the screw posn , one guy said to me that has used the SSGs before , that I need to buy a heap of mags as he considers them basiclly disposable thow aways .

Have heard from others the mags are fragile , and can believe it after seeing the mag on my PII , also have heard quite a few have broken the plastic trigger guard as well , told not to tighten the guard much .

Later Chris
JonC

#24 Post by JonC »

Bit of an update, fac finally turned up today, just need to finalise storage and then I can hit the shops. Had a quick look at a rather interesting steyr this morning. I think it originally started as a dongle shot scout, but had berm gifted with a laminated stock and a stainless 22 inch barrel. Its in a dip with an along price of £400, fitted with a scope and rail. Looks like a cheap way to get started. as its a ship saddle I would have some comeback if there is a problem. Very tempted.
Ovenpaa

#25 Post by Ovenpaa »

Heavy barrel?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
JonC

#26 Post by JonC »

Yes, heavy stainless 22". Twist is 1 in 9.
Ovenpaa

#27 Post by Ovenpaa »

1:9, This is a .223" then?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
JonC

#28 Post by JonC »

Here is al ink to the advert I spotted
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Rifle/Steyr-Ma ... 45057.aspx

do you think they have the twist wrong?
JonC

#29 Post by JonC »

Had a good afternoon shooting at 600 on century today, borrowed another club members ssg 69 in 7.62. The wind was interesting, but the accuracy of the ssg always amazes me.
Ovenpaa

#30 Post by Ovenpaa »

JonC wrote:Had a good afternoon shooting at 600 on century today, borrowed another club members ssg 69 in 7.62. The wind was interesting, but the accuracy of the ssg always amazes me.
Century can be very deceptive however I always enjoy shooting it.

Well it says 1:9 which would stabilise a 220 grain bullet which is quite a lump however it is a good looking rifle, I would give it house room and at that price it has to be worth a call to confirm the twist and find out a bit more.
/d

Shed Journal