Swing Mk4

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Christel
Site Admin

Re: Swing Mk4

#21 Post by Christel »

:lol: :lol:

;)
Dougan

#22 Post by Dougan »

karen wrote:
IainWR wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:Hehe, she is only checking out the action because of it's history, gawd help me if she likes it... :o
I love the history of the FN FAL, if she wants to check my history, or my action, I'm up for it, if she likes it gawd help me ...

Iain
I spend half the day on a train sitting opposite my husband wondering what he's doing on his laptop and then find out he's been spending his time making suggestive remarks to other women sweary

I hope you've cleared your cache darling :lol:

Love

karen
:lol: You're so busted Iain :lol:
Dougan

#23 Post by Dougan »

karen wrote:
Dougan wrote:
It's a 28" barrel
I had a 28" barrel with my first Swing - shot like a dream at short range but heap of s*** at 1000
I'll consider that a challenge :grin:
R.G.C

#24 Post by R.G.C »

HeatherW762 wrote:Still got my Mk4 swing although, as it's still in TR mode, I don't use it at the moment but it's a great gun.

Heather

Karen,

I would not argue on the Grand, as records 'on the spot' is impossible for me, but for the Queens there has been quite a few more Paramounts, Qualdlocks.....and even a Millenium in 2008..

R.G.C
Hauptman

#25 Post by Hauptman »

Hi,
I bought one of these from Fultons back in March. My first "proper" TR.............and thanks to Fultons for letting me try it on the zero range before committing to buy.
Despite copious grease on the lugs and extraction cam, the effort needed to open the bolt initially gave me and 'er indoors considerable grief owing to that lorry engine valve spring used to move the firing pin. I mentioned this to Robert Chombart in the summer,(while drooling over the CG Inch), and as a result, I fitted a slightly softer spring. The trigger is still superb, and we no longer have to use a foot of gaspipe as a lever to work the bolt.
I fitted a Barnard weaver rail (from HPS) a few months ago. This comes pre-drilled and the holes line up with the 4BA tapped holes in the Swing reciever. Socket head 4BA screws were found at Lawsons in Southampton. I milled the rearmost 3 "steps" off the rail so that the Central rearsight would have sufficient elevation travel, although with the Fulton adjustable foresight that's fitted, it probably wasn't necessary.
So with a cheap but solid steel detachable bipod with legs welded permanently in the splayed position, and a monster Chinese (Falcon 4-14 FFP) scope, I now have a superb TR, Match, and tactical type rifle without having to mortgage the house.

Hauptman
Ovenpaa

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

Welcome to the forum Hauptman, it sounds like you have a very good combination there with the Swing and the idea of swapping from TR to MT apeals to me as well. Are you shooting 155's or anything heavier and have you tried it beyond 1000 yet? A picture would be good :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
R.G.C

#27 Post by R.G.C »

Hauptman wrote:Hi,
I bought one of these from Fultons back in March. My first "proper" TR.............and thanks to Fultons for letting me try it on the zero range before committing to buy.
Despite copious grease on the lugs and extraction cam, the effort needed to open the bolt initially gave me and 'er indoors considerable grief owing to that lorry engine valve spring used to move the firing pin. I mentioned this to Robert Chombart in the summer,(while drooling over the CG Inch), and as a result, I fitted a slightly softer spring. The trigger is still superb, and we no longer have to use a foot of gaspipe as a lever to work the bolt.
I fitted a Barnard weaver rail (from HPS) a few months ago. This comes pre-drilled and the holes line up with the 4BA tapped holes in the Swing reciever. Socket head 4BA screws were found at Lawsons in Southampton. I milled the rearmost 3 "steps" off the rail so that the Central rearsight would have sufficient elevation travel, although with the Fulton adjustable foresight that's fitted, it probably wasn't necessary.
So with a cheap but solid steel detachable bipod with legs welded permanently in the splayed position, and a monster Chinese (Falcon 4-14 FFP) scope, I now have a superb TR, Match, and tactical type rifle without having to mortgage the house.

Hauptman
Hauptmann,

Glad to have been able to be of some help. Thetrigger can only operate alsoe better with the inproved spring..

BTW, we have had quite a few here converted to Belleville's with great success too..

R;G.C
Hauptman

#28 Post by Hauptman »

Swing.jpg
Well here it is, assuming I've uploaded it correctly, in "Tactical Tommy" form. I do, however, draw the line at cammo trousers and boots when shooting it like this......................after all, I missed the call-up by 18 months, so no precedent there.
Stock is solid beech, not too bashed about, and the barrel looks good inside. I started reloading shortly after getting it and I made a "chamber gauge" by slitting a re-sized case down the neck with a Dremel, inserting a bullet, chambering/ejecting it carefully, and then measuring the oal. I've been using "20 thou (0.5mm) off the lands" as my guide, and it seems to work quite well. The lead must be quite worn because measuring Ginge's Savage FTR the same way gives an oal nearly 2mm shorter, but that's nearly new.
The best groups so far have been obtained with 2.87gms of N140 and SMK 2155 bullets. Metric because we weigh each charge on an old top-pan 3 figure lab balance.
Shot TR fashion (Jacket and sling), this load actually gets to 1000yds, but the group's about the same size as the aiming mark, which is doubtless down to my inexperience although I generally blame the wind..................at 600yds TR, though, it's mustard, 47/51 at a recent shoot. Well, anyway, that's good for me.............
Off topic, but It just occurred to me that I've probably met some of this forum's members at the NRASC shoots. Ginge and me made a half day at nearly every one last year.
In fact, if it wasn't for the NRASC, it's unlikely we'd be shooting full bore. Our only other venue is a windswept mod range north of Winchester, which we get to use for an hour or so, once a month. Hats off to Heather, Caroline, Karen, Charles P, Pete S, Simon H, Nigel et al for pulling the strings that drive it. Keep up the good work !!
Christel
Site Admin

#29 Post by Christel »

Hauptman,

That is one good looking rifle!
With good results as well.

:good:
Ovenpaa

#30 Post by Ovenpaa »

I must admit I keep coming back for another look and it is a fine looking rifle. With luck we will bump into you at one of the NRASC shoots in 2012.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal