Would you shoot a giraffe ?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Tower75

Re: Would you shoot a giraffe ?

#21 Post by Tower75 »

Think I know what you're getting at, after all, a giraffe is a big, soppy-looking, animal that munches green-stuff. And unless you smack it I doubt it would hurt you.

But, then again, isn't a deer in the Highlands the same?

If you kill it to eat it/sell it, then that's your business. If you kill it to say "Hey, I shot a giraffe" then, again, that's your business.

Over here, we see it as a big, exotic, animal - but over there, it's probably the same as seeing someone shoot a pigeon.
froggy

#22 Post by froggy »

a giraffe is a big, soppy-looking, animal that munches green-stuff. And unless you smack it I doubt it would hurt you.

Damm ... The one who did his brother must have been a rogue south -London one then ??!! :grin:

But yes I think you are in the right direction .
Porcupine

#23 Post by Porcupine »

In the US people shoot armadillos. They are silly, soppy looking things that eat only bugs, and some of them are so friendly they will eat right out of your hand if you have some grubs to hand. They tear the heck out of your lawn/fields though, hence blasting them!

Do you think Africans who eat giraffe think English people are monsters?

Tower75

#24 Post by Tower75 »

Damm ... The one who did his brother must have been a rogue south -London one then ??!!
Just look. He has the cold, dead, eyes of a killer!
giraffe-11.jpg
froggy

#25 Post by froggy »

They tear the heck out of your lawn/fields though, hence blasting them!

Well ... that is a reason good enough then ;)

WANTED
DEAD or ALIVE
Extreme cautious : The suspect is believed to be armed & dangerous
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#26 Post by Blackstuff »

I think know what you mean now, as you say we don’t know what it actually takes to hunt a giraffe so we’re poking in the dark a bit. :-P

Like I said, it’s not for me, I only shoot animals that I can eat or are pests, or preferably animals which are both :good: . If it’s a case of literally walking up to the giraffe and it just stands there and you pull the trigger from 10ft away I just don’t see the point. :? I’m not saying I’m morally superior to anyone (far from it :twisted: ), but I can’t see the pleasure in killing for killings sake. However, if you have to stalk them as they run away when they see people, the ‘thrill of the chase/hunt’ is there and I could sort of see the attraction.
DVC
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#27 Post by Mike357 »

froggy wrote:Why would you feel daft shooting a large animal? Because it's a big target so it would be easy to hit ?
Froggy, I am assuming that a head shot is preferable with giraffe purely because it is so big. As their heads are tiny compared to their body mass and the hunter appears to be using traditional equipment, I'd say that too get close enough to a giraffe to shoot it in the head takes a fair degree of skill?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#28 Post by Mike357 »

For all the hunting and vermin shooting I have done, the only thing I'd be keen to try is driven boar with an express rifle. To me, the challenge and risk of the boar winning represents a fair fight!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Chuck

#29 Post by Chuck »

WHAT WAS THE POINT???

Was it JUST TO KILL SO THAT HE CAN KILL SOMETHING.,.....FINE! is it Ok if I team up with giraffes and return fire.

damn caps again.

Killing for fun, NO! Not unless it's pirates and "those" who mean us harm! if it was left to rot then that is just sick. IMO of course.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
froggy

#30 Post by froggy »

Re-

To me, the challenge and risk of the boar winning represents a fair fight!

When you rough shoot them yes it is, as, either they charge you or you are very close to them and it's a last second shot in forest overgrowth. They are funny annimals who fleeb a threat from a long distance or can "occupy" the ground untill the last momment especially when they have their litter around.
On a drive you are positioned in a way that they tend to run away from you, in my limited experience, quite oblivious to shoots discharged.
But on the all I agree with you - the feeling is exactly what I like in it and that is the reason why I stopped feathers and small game all together and have only shot pigs.