Sig Sauer P226 LBP

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sixshot6

Re: Sig Sauer P226 LBP

#261 Post by Sixshot6 »

joe wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:Me too, I'd love to shoot fullbore handguns again but I think the uninterrupted nature of the LBP would win over if I had to choose just one.

When I'm shooting an LBP I honestly don't notice the LB or the rear extension. Just the target.

An interrupted firing cycle I think I'd like more on a rifle.
It makes more sense on a rifle to be fair, though good luck to whoever gets one through, in my experience one could be done on the grandpower possibly but might require a lot more work as Scott mainly built the system with a gas piston gun in mind (why he is designing the 9mm mars with a plug rather a full blowbock conversion). I believe technical designs are the issue before any legal/licensing issues come about. But whoever does design one and whoever wants one. They are welcome to them.

Be nice to see what rifles are designed first, then we can decide next on what can be done.

the SGC lever release used a simple blow back mech. surly the interuptor would work regardless of whats opearting the slide as all the interuptor does is 'catch' the slide when it recoils
In theory yes, but something came up with Peter Starley, something about Barrel length affecting how the slide actually worked, can't really remember the specifics. Somebody else who followed the Saga might have an answer whoever I talked in the know cited a technically difficulty that eclipsed any legal problems. People talk about potential conflict with police forces but actually getting it work is the first order of business, that stuff can come later.

It boiled down to a center fire firearm working a whole lot different to a rimfire what with generating more pressure and other stuff, though keep in mind the first time lever release was developed and this was before Bob Clarke even toyed with it, was two guys with a double stack 1911, it seemed to work and Pete Moore and other writers mention it a few times when talking about the 9mm lever release but mention something happened that stopped them doing it... perhaps there is more a story we're not hearing?
joe

#262 Post by joe »

yer i heard about the two guys show casing some type of lever release pistol years back, there is vid on youtube with some guy with a glock 9mm with a 9 inch barrel conversion and that seemed to work alright (why would he want a 9 nch barrel on a glock is beyond me)
Sixshot6

#263 Post by Sixshot6 »

joe wrote:yer i heard about the two guys show casing some type of lever release pistol years back, there is vid on youtube with some guy with a glock 9mm with a 9 inch barrel conversion and that seemed to work alright (why would he want a 9 nch barrel on a glock is beyond me)
It get the impression its because nobody was interested or they got tired and couldn't find a way to get it sold themselves. Maybe now it would be different? Found the Glock vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HccnkSg49CI

Seems to be for the guys wanting to push 9mm. It can be done. I just suspect someone needs to sit down and ironically with a 1911 the lack of double action was not apparent due to there being only a single action. I've often wondered with the legion of near virgin 1911 frames that someone should at least give making a double stack a go. I believe someone did have an early system they showed very early on post 1997 but the issue was it being easy to make semi I believe? So once that hurdle is crossed things should work differently. Plus wait and see which other rifle systems come, one might come that might be a better option that MARS or Lever release maybe. I know of at least two that might work be better.
safetyfirst

Sig Sauer P226 LBP

#264 Post by safetyfirst »

A lot of centre fire pistols have a barrel that tilts up at the front and down at the breech when the slide is fully back. That's one issue when extending the barrel, some models it's probably not an issue at all, others it's probably a show stopper.

Agree that the lever release part of the job isn't much of an issue and is also probably operating mechanism independent, it just catches the bolt/slide as it begins the forward movement.

If you can get a reliable long barrel centre fire pistol going, the bolt interruption is "just" a reworking of the fire control group to include an interrupter amongst other items.
Sixshot6

#265 Post by Sixshot6 »

safetyfirst wrote:A lot of centre fire pistols have a barrel that tilts up at the front and down at the breech when the slide is fully back. That's one issue when extending the barrel, some models it's probably not an issue at all, others it's probably a show stopper.

Agree that the lever release part of the job isn't much of an issue and is also probably operating mechanism independent, it just catches the bolt as it begins it forward movement.

If you can get a reliable long barrel centre fire pistol going, the bolt interruption is "just" a reworking of the fire control group to include an interrupter amongst other items.
That might have been an issue with the Tangfolio. I believe the barrel was back bored and the working prototype had a barrel that was essentially screwed on. Any idea which semi auto "Donor" pistols don't tilt? I'm guessing a 1911 is one?
ordnance

#266 Post by ordnance »

If full bore long barrel revolvers are allowed, why not semi / autos. ?
joe

#267 Post by joe »

That might have been an issue with the Tangfolio. I believe the barrel was back bored and the working prototype had a barrel that was essentially screwed on. Any idea which semi auto "Donor" pistols don't tilt? I'm guessing a 1911 is one?[/quote]

the grand power k100 and the beretta 92fs have rotating barrel locking mech. (doesnt tilt) they are prob other makes as well !
Sixshot6

#268 Post by Sixshot6 »

joe wrote:That might have been an issue with the Tangfolio. I believe the barrel was back bored and the working prototype had a barrel that was essentially screwed on. Any idea which semi auto "Donor" pistols don't tilt? I'm guessing a 1911 is one?

the grand power k100 and the beretta 92fs have rotating barrel locking mech. (doesnt tilt) they are prob other makes as well ![/quote]

Well there are Turkish companies that make nice 92FS clones, that is one possibility. But Grandpower is another courtesy of Scott. I guess with Scott, its time. And unless time travel gets perfected. I doubt he's getting more time soon.
joe

#269 Post by joe »

ordnance wrote:If full bore long barrel revolvers are allowed, why not semi / autos. ?

because as we all know the law was a total load of bo...cks from from the start! apart from it making no sense (which gun control law ever does) it was rushed in so fast to stop the hysterical screaming of the press and sheeple! if there was ever an example of an knee jerk law (and a treasonous one) in england, its the 1997 act

ps. if camaron had any balls, he would have blair, the then frist minster of scotland and the other idiot thrown in the tower !
Last edited by joe on Mon May 25, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixshot6

#270 Post by Sixshot6 »

gunlike
joe wrote:
ordnance wrote:If full bore long barrel revolvers are allowed, why not semi / autos. ?

because as we all know the law was a total load of bo...cks from from the start! apart from it making no sense (which gun control law ever does) it was rushed in so fast to stop the hysterical screaming of the press and sheeple! if there was ever an example of an knee jerk law (and a treasonous one) in england, its the 1997 act
gunlike