Short Siberia - Bisley

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Individual

Re: Short Siberia - Bisley

#31 Post by Individual »

TJC wrote:[ Leasing out a facility is one way to solve a financial issue but I'd rather see it solved through growth of membership and more shooting activity by those members.
I agree with your sentiments on membership 100%. Growing the shooting membership quickly so that Bisley becomes self sufficient would solve the problem, it would be the best solution and it's what we all want. But how? Even the very best way to do it would need some time. Time is not an unlimited resource.

Problem is, the NRA is in a state right now - today. There is no point growing the membership only to find we have lost the facility because it couldn't support itself financially in the meantime. There is also little point in blamng previous administrations for the problems, it wont help fix it.

You need both approaches; stabilise the finances + grow the membership to be working hand-in-hand. If the week day demand on Bisley increases dramatically, I'm sure the CNC can be outbid, its not a permanent change. Selling off or re-purposing the facility would be.

Pony Academy aside - what do you think can be done? any????
John25

#32 Post by John25 »

Individual wrote:
TJC wrote:[ Leasing out a facility is one way to solve a financial issue but I'd rather see it solved through growth of membership and more shooting activity by those members.
I agree with your sentiments on membership 100%. Growing the shooting membership quickly so that Bisley becomes self sufficient would solve the problem, it would be the best solution and it's what we all want. But how? Even the very best way to do it would need some time. Time is not an unlimited resource.

Problem is, the NRA is in a state right now - today. There is no point growing the membership only to find we have lost the facility because it couldn't support itself financially in the meantime. There is also little point in blamng previous administrations for the problems, it wont help fix it.

You need both approaches; stabilise the finances + grow the membership to be working hand-in-hand. If the week day demand on Bisley increases dramatically, I'm sure the CNC can be outbid, its not a permanent change. Selling off or re-purposing the facility would be.

Pony Academy aside - what do you think can be done? any????

Yes, I too agree with all but your 'out-bid the CNC' bit.

I won't disclose the sums discussed even three years ago (the last I was privileged to know) but I can say Faaaaarsins! Certainly exponentially more than revenue from members. (staffing costs are saved too because CNC set out their own range and targets)

As I have said before CNC saved the NRA from almost certain death.

Sadly, shooting seems to be a dying sport. Lowering membership fees didn't help, Open Days help a little (but precipitate increases in theft)

We, as shooters don't, in the main, have bottomless pockets. I for instance couldn't shoot more than I do, I can't afford it.

Whichever way you look at it, it comes down to money. I don't like it, Alex doesn't like it but those are the facts of life I'm afraid.

I remain optimistic that the changes to Century will compensate for the loss of weekday use that quiet little hidden corner out in the woods.

The 'new' management are aware of the problems and amount of work required, I'm prepared to give them a chance, anyone else?
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Christel
Site Admin

#33 Post by Christel »

What can we do...

How about regional events like we all turn up at our local club for a fun shoot, donate a fiver each and who ever wins the shoot gets the money towards a NRA yearly membership?

Be imaginative...proactive....get out there and save the NRA!
Individual

#34 Post by Individual »

John25 wrote: Yes, I too agree with all but your 'out-bid the CNC' bit.
Well its only a theoretical possibility, I agree its very unlikely in practice. We'd all have to sell our houses and live on the camp. sign01
John25 wrote: As I have said before CNC saved the NRA from almost certain death.
Thats my understanding too. Why would the management take that decision otherwise? I'm not prepared to believe the tin-foil hat stuff just yet.
John25 wrote: The 'new' management are aware of the problems and amount of work required, I'm prepared to give them a chance, anyone else?
Yes. I'm in.
karen

#35 Post by karen »

John25 wrote: Lowering membership fees didn't help
Speaking with my Membership Committee hat on, actually it did increase the membership numbers by quite a lot (sorry haven't got figures to hand). Only problem was that we didn't quite get to the 50 quid a year we wanted to.

We took a chance that reducing membership by a fiver a year would slowly increase membership and it did.

Looking at a membership graph produced for one of our meetings it appeared that the biggest increases in membership were just after Hungerford, Dunblane and reducing membership fees.

My personal view on increasing membership is by looking after younger shooters and keeping them in the sport - I was lucky in that I got a load of my Dad's hand-me-downs (some of which looked VERY silly on a 20 year old girl) but I could not have afforded to buy all the kit I needed (I think I bought my own glove and took out a £200 loan to enter my first Imperial).

So why don't you:

Give your old kit to a youngster

Pay a youngsters membership fees

Make a donation to the Young Shooters Fund

Pay a youngsters entry fee to the Imperial/Phoenix/CSR league/whatever

Just my tuppence worth

love

Karen
Individual

#36 Post by Individual »

karen wrote:
So why don't you:

Just my tuppence worth

love

Karen
Hmm some good thoughts there Karen.

Could the NRA act as a match-maker to help that happen?

How are we defining 'youngster' in shooting terms - under 50? :grin:
Christel
Site Admin

#37 Post by Christel »

karen wrote:
So why don't you:

Just my tuppence worth

love

Karen
Get in there clapclap

David and I are already in very early discussions with the NRA regarding sponsoring under 25s TR shooters.
In fact I think the NRA is waiting for David's proposal.
Christel
Site Admin

#38 Post by Christel »

Individual wrote:
Hmm some good thoughts there Karen.

Could the NRA act as a match-maker to help that happen?

How are we defining 'youngster' in shooting terms - under 50? :grin:
That is where I think the regions should come in...do something at the local clubs.
John25

#39 Post by John25 »

karen wrote:
John25 wrote: Lowering membership fees didn't help
Speaking with my Membership Committee hat on, actually it did increase the membership numbers by quite a lot (sorry haven't got figures to hand). Only problem was that we didn't quite get to the 50 quid a year we wanted to.

We took a chance that reducing membership by a fiver a year would slowly increase membership and it did.

Looking at a membership graph produced for one of our meetings it appeared that the biggest increases in membership were just after Hungerford, Dunblane and reducing membership fees.

My personal view on increasing membership is by looking after younger shooters and keeping them in the sport - I was lucky in that I got a load of my Dad's hand-me-downs (some of which looked VERY silly on a 20 year old girl) but I could not have afforded to buy all the kit I needed (I think I bought my own glove and took out a £200 loan to enter my first Imperial).

So why don't you:

Just my tuppence worth

love

Karen

That's my leg slapped then :oops:

I've told you before, hit me as hard as you like but don't hate me tongueout
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
karen

#40 Post by karen »

John25 wrote:
I've told you before, hit me as hard as you like but don't hate me tongueout
Oh I have far worse lined up for you . . . one photo per day for the next three weeks should do it :shakeshout:

Love

Karen (three sleeps to go!)