Thames Valley Police Standardised Medical Form

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Thames Valley Police Standardised Medical Form

#31 Post by dromia »

If the systems being a nonsense bothered them then the whole firearms certification process would be totally different.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#32 Post by Pippin89 »

dromia wrote:If the systems being a nonsense bothered them then the whole firearms certification process would be totally different.
Haha..... Maybe this is the drive behind it all going online. One county has taken the plunge haven't they??
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#33 Post by bradaz11 »

avon and somerset let you do it online, I did mine yesterday, but that is a ball ache too. they wanted me to basically write out my fac in the application form, I had to enter every gun I have, what guns I'm planning on buying, and my ammo limits - each one by one, all the while hoping my wifi didn't drop or something and I got kicked back to the start page.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
walesdave

#34 Post by walesdave »

My GP saga (you can read the entire drama here: https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35595) ended up with my request for a copy of my full medical record from my GP (they can't charge for this but it did take a month to arrive!); I then had the FEO arround who spent less than 90 seconds 'reviewing' the front page of the medical file which contains a summary of current and past medical conditions I've recieved treatment for.

.....and that was it.....renewal has been agreed (with some unrelated 'special' conditions).

As an aside, I've not received my physical FAC and SGC yet due to a new Chief Constable being appointed in Gwent and the FEO is waiting for a new signature stamp to be ordered wallhead
Polchraine

#35 Post by Polchraine »

bradaz11 wrote:avon and somerset let you do it online, I did mine yesterday, but that is a ball ache too. they wanted me to basically write out my fac in the application form, I had to enter every gun I have, what guns I'm planning on buying, and my ammo limits - each one by one, all the while hoping my wifi didn't drop or something and I got kicked back to the start page.
Online would be fine - if it was to let you save it at various stages. I went most of te way through to find they wanted email addresses for the referees so had to find it and start again. Then all the way through to find they would not accept my credit card and I did not have another there. So, back to the start the next day.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Cookisan
Home club or Range: Diggle and MSR&PC

#36 Post by Cookisan »

I'm starting to twitch as my renewal is coming up at the end of the year and I've heard now a number of issues with the GP medical form part. However, unless I've misinterpreted the latest application form from Staffordshire Police, the medical details on the standard application form are sufficient unless they have reason to think otherwise, then a request for a medical report from the GP would be required, fair enough.

I have only ever had to get a GP report once when I first applied for my shotgun license. My present license is the concurent firearms/shotgun license, but as mentioned above, no obvious instruction to get said GP report.

Has anyone here, from Staffordshire got any recent experience.

And again, why do each area effectively do their own thing, wouldn't finding the best practise be benefical for both sides!
Pete
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#37 Post by Pete »

"Divide and rule" ?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
ordnance

#38 Post by ordnance »

And again, why do each area effectively do their own thing, wouldn't finding the best practise be benefical for both sides!
The best practice is in this part of the UK, no medical form.
Polchraine

#39 Post by Polchraine »

ordnance wrote:
The best practice is in this part of the UK, no medical form.
Not in the Met area either - unless they are unsure or you have told them of medical issues.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#40 Post by Pippin89 »

bradaz11 wrote:avon and somerset let you do it online, I did mine yesterday, but that is a ball ache too. they wanted me to basically write out my fac in the application form, I had to enter every gun I have, what guns I'm planning on buying, and my ammo limits - each one by one, all the while hoping my wifi didn't drop or something and I got kicked back to the start page.
That is an issue that is easily solved if it rolls out nationally. It could be linked to your government gateway thing. Log on, all your details there, a warning that you are due for renewal, check details are correct and make any changes necessary, click submit, done...... This could and should be done very easily once it is large scale. But its hard for an individual office to do it.