New rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mr_Logic

Re: New rifle

#31 Post by Mr_Logic »

That was my thinking. Might be worth a try at 20 quid per hundred cheaper than a Berger 185, BC isn't too bad either.
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#32 Post by 20series »

Mr_Logic wrote:It's a 30-inch 1:12 twist Broughton 5C. I should have spent time discussing the chamber with Stuart, but there were other things to talk about...

Quick one - 190gr Nosler Custom competition - should this stabilise?
190's might be too heavy for a 12 twist

my old pss set up liked 175 gn sierras they might be a good start
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Mr_Logic

#33 Post by Mr_Logic »

Yes I must admit I'd had that thought - I used to use them in my old Ruger M77, they worked OK, as far as they could given the POS rifle.
Mr_Logic

#34 Post by Mr_Logic »

As an aside, I see on berger's website the 230gr Match Hybrid Target. On the face of it a bit heavy for .308, but... BC of .743. That's mental for a .30 cal - gunsmiths out there, can you make this bullet work in a .308 and would you want to?
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#35 Post by 20series »

Mr_Logic wrote:As an aside, I see on berger's website the 230gr Match Hybrid Target. On the face of it a bit heavy for .308, but... BC of .743. That's mental for a .30 cal - gunsmiths out there, can you make this bullet work in a .308 and would you want to?
they're designed for 300 WinMags i believe

I'm shooting 200 gn smks in my 308 which is a 1/10 twist
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Mr_Logic

#36 Post by Mr_Logic »

20series wrote:
Mr_Logic wrote:As an aside, I see on berger's website the 230gr Match Hybrid Target. On the face of it a bit heavy for .308, but... BC of .743. That's mental for a .30 cal - gunsmiths out there, can you make this bullet work in a .308 and would you want to?
they're designed for 300 WinMags i believe

I'm shooting 200 gn smks in my 308 which is a 1/10 twist
Indeed, that was my understanding also.

My only thinking was much on the lines of the 90-grain VLD, which has had a very long throat built for it - could you, and would you want to, do something similar in the .308? Seems things get bent out of shape all the time in the F/TR world - my only problem is I don't know how to do that!!
Ovenpaa

#37 Post by Ovenpaa »

If this is to be an F/TR rifle I would be starting off with something conventional and would avoid VLD's initially, if you fancy a crack at Berger PM me your address and I will put a box of 155.5's on the post for you.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mr_Logic

#38 Post by Mr_Logic »

Definitely, the 230-grain question was a hypothetical for another day - this rifle is a lot more conventional!

Will PM you shortly!
EagerNoSkill

#39 Post by EagerNoSkill »

I fired 1 shot with the 22 Christel V :clap:

It's not a gun it's a freaking laser

I am still trying to get the ballistics to fit 3 different programmes :shock:
Ovenpaa

#40 Post by Ovenpaa »

I think she fell out of the 5/V ring once last time out at Stickledown and did not drop out of the V at 600. It does shoot OK, assuming she is not bundling back into a slip because she has just spotted a rain cloud 20 miles away.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal