Re: Would you shoot a giraffe ?

#31 Post by EagerNoSkill »

Except for zombies and crims
I only shoot vermin and what I eat for pot

Pointless blood killing is not for me
Polchraine

#32 Post by Polchraine »

I was in Kenya a few years back ... the hotel had a game barbecue twice a week and they served Giraffe, Warthog, Boar, Zebra, various Antelope and more.

Zebras are extremely common and they are culled frequently as are Giraffes although less frequently - the locals sell licences to outsiders and the meat is tends to go three ways - to the hunter, sold to restaurants and distributed in the village. Who wins? The locals benefit most in several ways - tourism, guides, cash, food ...

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Steve

#33 Post by Steve »

If its a specie which needs controlling and some of the fee you're paying goes back into conservation-why not.No animal should be exempt from culls just because its attractive to look at.
Chuck

#34 Post by Chuck »

Fair play on culls and conservation etc but killing for killings sake, no!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Dougan

#35 Post by Dougan »

Chuck wrote:Fair play on culls and conservation etc but killing for killings sake, no!
Agreed - Giraffes are sustainable, and one way or another probably a valued resource to the local community...

... but the fact that this guy posed for a photo, means that the kill was more likely for his own self gratification - Personally I'd of liked to have taken his gun off him, and make him walk back...preferably through a pride of lions :twisted:
tikkathreebarrels

#36 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Dougan wrote:
Chuck wrote:Fair play on culls and conservation etc but killing for killings sake, no!
Agreed - Giraffes are sustainable, and one way or another probably a valued resource to the local community...

... but the fact that this guy posed for a photo, means that the kill was more likely for his own self gratification - Personally I'd of liked to have taken his gun off him, and make him walk back...preferably through a pride of lions :twisted:
No, he can carry his rifle, as well as his kill.
Chuck

#37 Post by Chuck »

No, he can carry his rifle, as well as his kill....through aforementioned pack of lions I hope .

I watch a programme here -YABAN TV. It regularly shows groups out pig hunting etc. Carcass is left lying where it falls, OK so in some areas they ARE a pest but this irks me. Likewise some over-wealthy sad git trekking miles to shoot something (usually a couple of times) and walk off with the horns, again carcass is left..lots of smiling and posing for cmaeras. Stuff that!
http://www.yabantur.com/TurDetay.aspx?TID=40 (About £3100 for the opportunity of killing that animal for fun).
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
25Pdr

#38 Post by 25Pdr »

I've never shot anything larger than a Mouse but I remember about 35 Years ago, visiting the Flamingo Park wildlife centre near Scarborough,while standing on a bridge, a Giraffe poked his head over the rail and knocked me on my arse.

If I had had a gun handy, I would definitely have shot the big bugger. :lol:
Chuck

#39 Post by Chuck »

:lol: :lol: that was in the days before guns had a personality and spoke to people..
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#40 Post by Sandgroper »

Part of the culling and conversation aspect will be done by shooters who are paying to shoot the animal/s. Much like people going to an Estate and paying to go stalking ;)
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.