NRA membership department

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Re: NRA membership department

#41 Post by the running man »

nfrancis wrote:
the running man wrote:Like I said before, the nra all all nicey nicey on the surface, look behind the scenes and you will discover a lot of very dark goings on.....
Like what??

The NRA are essentially its members. Anyone can join the NRA, anyone has the right to sit on General Council.

Anyone who thinks the NRA can represent shooting sports better can get involved to change things.
that's nice thinking Neil but you know full well your face needs to fit in order to make an impact up there, and you know how I was treated by the nra.....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Alpha1

#42 Post by Alpha1 »

Yesterday was my primary clubs first range day we had a debate about the NRA. We all live in the North East of England the outcome was that every body in the Club has applied to join BASC.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#43 Post by dodgyrog »

Alpha1 wrote:Yesterday was my primary clubs first range day we had a debate about the NRA. We all live in the North East of England the outcome was that every body in the Club has applied to join BASC.
Wise choice.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Ovenpaa

#44 Post by Ovenpaa »

I will be stopping with the NRA despite the nightmare drive to Bisley.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#45 Post by meles meles »

We think the NRA under Mr Mercer is improving...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#46 Post by Mike357 »

And does the BASC have any interest in running shooting disciplines, moving into the NSC when the NRA goes belly up due dwindling membership and promoting ALL shooting disciplines?

Thankfully the NRA appear on the up and up and if anybody has witnessed the debate on F4i about the IPSC issue then hopefully you will see from most recent posts that the NRA are are serious about delivering on Andrw Mercer's vision and improving all shooting for all people. Waiting to see whether the NRA deliver is like not voting at a General Election because you don't know if your preferred party will win or deliver on their manifesto.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Hauptman

#47 Post by Hauptman »

I'm an NRA "lifer", and I also joined BASC for a year, but since I don't shoot anything that has a mother,(unless it fires first and misses), I decided that they have little or nothing to offer me.

H/man
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#48 Post by the running man »

I recently made some not nice comments about the nra, after re thinking, I appreciate that there are those past and present staff members who do work hard to deliver a better shooting world, Neil Francis especially, and if anyone was upset by my posts then you have my apologies...In future I will keep my opinions on the nra to a constructive form only.....

suffice to say I will not be shooting at bisley for the very long forseable future as a despicable treatment of me by nra representatives has left me very upset, and ive nearly completely withdrawn from shooting altogether, and as such will not be renewing my nra membership...

To those of you who have contacted me sharing your loathing of my situation i thank you..now lets let it rest....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#49 Post by FredB »

Me too, Hauptmann. I love Bisley, even though it has looked sad and neglected in recent years. I live 150 miles away and I only get down to major meetings three times a year. I am not aware that the BASC crew have ever done anything for target shooters. The NRA has always avoided confrontation over legislative issues, seeing public arguement with the government as a recipe for loosing: I am aware that a lot went on behind the visible frontage.
Fred
Gaz

#50 Post by Gaz »

Just read the NRA v UKPSA debate on F4i (not a forum I'm a member of). Putting aside the mad accusations of gross misconduct/worshipping false gods/failing to slaughter one's firstborn, it looks to me like the NRA are stepping in to take over management of a discipline that was being run into the floor by a power-addicted clique.

No bad thing.

If that's the organised mindset the NRA are bringing to "internal" matters, how long before that discipline starts to show elsewhere, in events and competitions away from Bisley?

Unrelated note: I'm confused why people say BASC would be better than the NRA. BASC don't manage target shooting disciplines or any real estate (i.e. ranges), as far as I know, which means there's far less for them to get wrong. Besides, while BASC undoubtedly have an excellent setup for political lobbying and keeping the police from making the law up as they go along, I'd like to see them make a decent fist of running the sheer number of things the NRA do.
(I'm a bit biased against BASC - their chief press bloke was all too happy to talk to me, with my professional head on, right up until I asked if he had any info handy about the workings of the NFLMS to add to the nice quote from their chief I'd just dropped into an article of ours. At which point he began flat out ignoring me, so sod him and his organisation. :wave: )