Thames Valley Police Standardised Medical Form

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Thames Valley Police Standardised Medical Form

#41 Post by kennyc »

ordnance wrote:
And again, why do each area effectively do their own thing, wouldn't finding the best practise be benefical for both sides!
The best practice is in this part of the UK, no medical form.
thats cos you is all nutters lollol
ordnance

#42 Post by ordnance »

Polchraine wrote:
ordnance wrote:
And again, why do each area effectively do their own thing, wouldn't finding the best practise be benefical for both sides!
Not in the Met area either - unless they are unsure or you have told them of medical issues.

goodjob
ordnance

#43 Post by ordnance »

kennyc wrote:
ordnance wrote:
thats cos you is all nutters lollol
Not all, just some. :)
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#44 Post by channel12 »

TVP haven't yet realised that no GP will offer an opinion on your fitness to hold a FAC, all they will do is a make a statement of facts. This is akin to medicals for vocational driving licences, it is for the DVLC to make the decision based on the results of the examination not the GP.
The other thing TVP haven't considered is that if you are a current FAC holder you will be very reluctant to visit your GP if you are having any mental health issues, depression or stress and those are not readily apparent to the GP at a medical examination. People with clinical depression can appear quite happy and cheerful on the outside.
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

#45 Post by stuarta »

I do not think the police firearms licensing departments are asking for medical reports for any reason other than to make it more difficult for the general public to legally own guns. Once this becomes standard practice across the England, in a few years they will think up another hurdle for gun owners to jump over. The same reason will be given, we need to keep the public safe, if only.
TVP firearms department is not fit for purpose, 8 weeks for a variation, over 3 months and still waiting to issue a first time FAC, a renewal put in the beginning of May and still waiting. This medical form is just another way of slowing down an already dysfunctional service by TVP.
Polchraine

#46 Post by Polchraine »

stuarta wrote: TVP firearms department is not fit for purpose, 8 weeks for a variation, over 3 months and still waiting to issue a first time FAC, a renewal put in the beginning of May and still waiting. This medical form is just another way of slowing down an already dysfunctional service by TVP.
Heard yesterday that one of people at a clay shoot I attend had a 2 year delay in getting his SGC renewal through TVP! No major issues on health or security, just, as far as I hear, snail pace

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Sim G

#47 Post by Sim G »

Polchraine wrote:Heard yesterday that one of people at a clay shoot I attend had a 2 year delay in getting his SGC renewal through TVP! No major issues on health or security, just, as far as I hear, snail pace
That is ridiculous!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Polchraine

#48 Post by Polchraine »

Sim G wrote:
Polchraine wrote:Heard yesterday that one of people at a clay shoot I attend had a 2 year delay in getting his SGC renewal through TVP! No major issues on health or security, just, as far as I hear, snail pace
That is ridiculous!
An understatement ... during that time he also had "temporary certificates" issued that allowed him to continue shooting. Two others are just applying to TVP - I hav eoffered to act as a referee to one, how long will those take?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

#49 Post by stuarta »

I have been ask by a person applying to TVP to give a reference and have never been contacted. None of the people I gave for my initial application or renewal have ever been contacted.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#50 Post by Racalman »

It strikes me that the biggest cause of depression among legal gun owners is probably the ever increasing interference, obstruction, misinformation and unfair treatment by the police and Home Office.

Is there a more persecuted minority in this country?