Question for the Cap 'n' Balling Ladies and Gentlemen

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Question for the Cap 'n' Balling Ladies and Gentlemen

#41 Post by dromia »

You mean the fired caps falling into the action?

If so it is a feature of the Colt BP revolver design.

I got myself into the habit years ago of pulling the hammer onto half cock and rolling the pistol upside down after each shot to drop off a loose, fired cap.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Tower75

#42 Post by Tower75 »

Yup. That's what I meant. It's rare that I get through a whole cylinder without at least one cap falling into the action.
idge

#43 Post by idge »

I can see how that would be frustrating and have heard of that problem before but doesn't seem to put me off though as really like that classic colt look .
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#44 Post by dodgyrog »

The problem with my Pietta is old Italian made caps (no 11) sticking on the nipples and needing levering off!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
idge

#45 Post by idge »

It seems that people shooting cap n ball revolvers always seem to be having one problem or another, is that a pietta colt replica dodgyrog ??
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#46 Post by dodgyrog »

idge wrote:It seems that people shooting cap n ball revolvers always seem to be having one problem or another, is that a pietta colt replica dodgyrog ??
Replica Remington I believe - not too sure what model.
I shoot comps with it but to be honest me and it don't perform too well together.
I persevere 'coz I love to fill the range with smoke. lol
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
idge

#47 Post by idge »

Sounds like as good a reason as any to me :good:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#48 Post by dromia »

Cap and ball revolvers are like any other firearm, you just need to learn how to shoot them and acquaint yourself with their foibles.

They are just like cartridge guns only you hand load for them at the firing point.

I'm currently shooting a Uberti Remington copy .44 with no problems other than pistol shooting needs far more regular practice than rifle shooting to keep up your skill level. Whatever Holywood might lead us to believe shooting pistols of any kind accurately and consistently is not easy and requires dedicated practice.

When I was a serious pistol shooter I was doing a minimum of 500 rounds a week full bore at least 200 rounds a week rim fire and a tin of pellets air pistol. A good 2/3rds of those rounds were in competition and the rest serious practice, no plinking. Even then staying an A class shooter was never guaranteed.

Nowadays I'm lucky if I do 100 rounds BP and 50 rounds centre fire a month now and my scores show it. I'm lucky to hold the black with them all never mind think of possibles.

If you want a challenge then learn to shoot pistol well and be consistent.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dahonis

#49 Post by Dahonis »

dromia wrote:Cap and ball revolvers are like any other firearm, you just need to learn how to shoot them and acquaint yourself with their foibles.

They are just like cartridge guns only you hand load for them at the firing point.

I'm currently shooting a Uberti Remington copy .44 with no problems other than pistol shooting needs far more regular practice than rifle shooting to keep up your skill level. Whatever Holywood might lead us to believe shooting pistols of any kind accurately and consistently is not easy and requires dedicated practice.

When I was a serious pistol shooter I was doing a minimum of 500 rounds a week full bore at least 200 rounds a week rim fire and a tin of pellets air pistol. A good 2/3rds of those rounds were in competition and the rest serious practice, no plinking. Even then staying an A class shooter was never guaranteed.

Nowadays I'm lucky if I do 100 rounds BP and 50 rounds centre fire a month now and my scores show it. I'm lucky to hold the black with them all never mind think of possibles.

If you want a challenge then learn to shoot pistol well and be consistent.

I will rise to that challange....and seek help at every step :flag13:
saddler

#50 Post by saddler »

dromia wrote: Elmer's books Sixguns and Sixgun Cartridges and Loads were standard reading in my young pistol days.
Pricey things, books, back when you were a lad...Good job that Caxton bloke simplified the process!