China and Chinese products

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Re: China and Chinese products

#41 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha1 wrote:But as an example I recently needed a couple of chuck keys I googled it and ended up on ebay I could buy the chuck keys from some one in the UK who obviously buys stuff from China then re sells it on ebay or order one from Myford UK for twice the price.
To test the water in current climate I ordered both.
Both items arrived in more or less the same time.
Both items fitted the chuck so I could work with both.
The Myford version was really well made.
The Chinese version worked and that,s about all I can say really except it was half the price of the Myford offering.
There is no doubting that some of the products coming out of China are of an extremely high quality and equally, some absolute junk. The issue is people are going to look for the product of their choice at the cheapest price and at the expense of our economy. So many times people brag about buying overseas or avoiding VAT (That is not a shooting thing either) With that mentality this country is doomed. Regardless, I have put a stake in the ground and will stand by it for every single choice I make in the future. If someone reading this chooses to buy from China and/or evade VAT, well so be it....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#42 Post by Sim G »

I think this thread needs moving to an appropriate general discussion forum...

lol lol lol lol lol
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#43 Post by Ovenpaa »

SimG - you mean GoM? I must admit it has lost it's direction somewhat, however it is still in the public forum which is where I think it should be. In fact I would sooner everything other than my first post was deleted than see it moved to a restricted area.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#44 Post by Christel »

It stays as is.
Sim G

#45 Post by Sim G »

It was a light hearted poke at dromia...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

RDC

#46 Post by RDC »

christel wrote: Bill Gates springs to mind. 104.1 billion USD net worth 2020.

If Bill Gates donated 10USD a month to 5000 families in India, what a life changer, they may even be able to get running water and he wouldn't even notice the money leaving his account.
He does alot, albeit the tin foil hat brigade also think his health initiatives in Africa are a plan to sterilize black people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%2 ... Foundation
Christel
Site Admin

#47 Post by Christel »

RDC, BG does a lot however it makes no difference to the poor people of (insert any country)

Maybe it will make a difference to their grandchildren with the projects he is involved with, problem with that is that they do not care as they right now have no running water.

That is essentially one of the problems with rich people. They want to keep their money while still be recognised for whatever.

Just 10USD...
Sim G

#48 Post by Sim G »

christel wrote: Just 10USD...

Hands up those who would give the cost of a pub meal? £32 a month and I'll tell you the story of how to change a life. any????

Christel
Site Admin

#49 Post by Christel »

Sim G wrote:
christel wrote: Just 10USD...

Hands up those who would give the cost of a pub meal? £32 a month and I'll tell you the story of how to change a life. any????
SimG, goodjob

Only thing is BG wouldn't even notice the 10USD let alone a million USD. That is what he earns in interest in no time.

Rich people like BG and Meghan Markle are to me pretentious and all their babble about helping...well they are not really, looks good on the CV though for the investors.

People like you are making a difference. 110%.
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

#50 Post by stuarta »

I have been practicing not buying products from China for many years, unlike Alpha 1 I have a workshop at home full of tools made in the U.K. , Scandinavia, Germany, Austria and France. I could have bought cheaper but some of these tools have been part of my tool kit for 50 years.
The old saying, buy quality tools and you cry once when you buy them, buy cheep and you cry every time you use them.

I am retired and my sons now run the company and yes they have computers, phones etc from Chinese but the machinery is German and Austrian and tooling is as far as possible made in Sheffield or local tool making firms. They find they can source quality products and materials without.

The CE mark on European Machines show they conform to certain standards, these include safety standards such as interlock guarding. The Chinese put a similar mark on their machines that has minor differences but to a non expert it looks the same. These Chinese machines are often dangerous as the interlocking safety features are easily overridden by operators and machines do not “fail to safe”. The Chinese defend putting the CE, (Certificate of European Conformity) by calling it Chines Export. The EU should ban this fraud but choose to turn a blind eye. Many if not most Chines products are in my opinion inferior and built down to a price.
Well done to the Shooting Shed and if I need a shooting product you will get my business.