FAC Questions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Steve E

Re: FAC Questions

#51 Post by Steve E »

By not stating Calibre of moderator or the calibre and quantity of expanding ammunition I foresee you being disappointed in your requests.
slate

#52 Post by slate »

The FEO will discuss it with me won't he? I am hearing on the forums that they are being less prescriptive. I guess i should put down for two mods;.22 and .308 then I'm covered.

Expanders... hmmmm I will be doing target and stalking - 80/20 respectively... I haven't posted the form yet, so what do you recommend? I will be shooting expanders "on range" with special dispensations via BSRC - but only to zero prior to a stalk.
mackie

#53 Post by mackie »

I'm sure this has been asked before but in FAC terminology can .308 and 7.62x51 and .223 and 5.56x45 be considered equivalent and interchangeable? In TR rules they are but does the law see it the same way?

My thinking so far is:

Rifles:

.308 Win/7.62x51 - target shooting
.223 Rem/5.56x45 - target shooting
.22LR - target shooting
.22LR - target shooting

Ammo:

.22LR - Hold 1200 Buy 1000
.308 Win/7.62x51 - Hold 250 Buy 200
.223 Rem/5.56x45 - Hold 250 Buy 200

Does this seem sensible?
morph007
Home club or Range: Kentucky Firearms club

#54 Post by morph007 »

Hi,
On my application I requested .308/7.62 and .223/5.56, got both without any questions.

M
If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
mackie

#55 Post by mackie »

Thanks. I hoped that would be the case.
Doz

#56 Post by Doz »

It IS usually the case (and was on my own ticket) but I do know of at least one application in Sussex where the applicant was made to specify .308 OR 7.62.
Mikaveli

#57 Post by Mikaveli »

You'll probably benefit from looking into which target shooting disciplines you'll shoot with those rifles.

Depending on your FEO, just 'plinking' may not be seen as sufficient good reason. If you can show which competitions you plan to enter (admittedly, after lots of practice), it's easier for the FEO to justify the grant of your FAC.
mackie

#58 Post by mackie »

It's not just for plinking, I'm in a proper TR club and those are the calibers permitted by the rules (and .303 which I might add too since everyone should have a Lee Enfield at some point).
Jimbo2568

#59 Post by Jimbo2568 »

Lots of good info in here made for a good read. :-)
Dazza9t9

#60 Post by Dazza9t9 »

I'm starting to fill my FAC in and in the ammo section there is no Column for hold or purchase. It states caliber and amount that is it.
How do I ask for 1000 purchase with 1200 hold?

Sent from my boing using "An application"