Caption this

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Caption this

#61 Post by dromia »

Well that lot seem to see it as a organisation in a "religious" context.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Robin128

#62 Post by Robin128 »

Doesn't have to be a Bible...the Koran will do...

:shock:

"During the latter part of 1875, there was considerable stir among the Craft lodges in India, as to the propriety of the use of the Koran in Masonic lodges under English Constitutions. Considerable correspondence was had with the Grand Lodge of England, in London, which brought out the fact of the initiation of the King of Oudh, a Mohammedan, in Friendship Lodge No. 6, in London, on April 14, 1836. At the initiatory ceremonies a volume of the Koran was used. The book had been furnished by the Grand Master, and the candidate was obligated upon it by the Master of the lodge, who was an English clergyman. This stopped further discussion, and it was settled in the Grand Lodge of England and her colonies, that it was proper to obligate all candidates upon that particular book which they held to be most sacred, and contains the work of Deity. All of this has been accepted and acknowledged as correct by the Grand Lodge of Scotland, and the annual appointment of Grand Shastii bearer, Grand Veda Bearer, Grand Koran Bearer, Grand Bible Bearer, etc., has been regularly made."

- Source: The Builder - March 1921

;)
The Deer Hunter

#63 Post by The Deer Hunter »

A friend of mine who is a very well respected Mason is also a self confessed atheist, however he does believe in the greater good of man. Therefore he does believe in something.
At the end of the day does it matter what you believe in, as long as your morals are intact and you have not been a bad un, then why would you not be accepted as a Mason?
Christel
Site Admin

#64 Post by Christel »

The Deer Hunter wrote:A friend of mine who is a very well respected Mason is also a self confessed atheist, however he does believe in the greater good of man. Therefore he does believe in something.
At the end of the day does it matter what you believe in, as long as your morals are intact and you have not been a bad un, then why would you not be accepted as a Mason?
....the greater good of man.....that is not a supreme being.
An atheist believes in nothing, there is simply nothing to believe in.

Being an atheist and a freemason can't go hand in hand.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#65 Post by dromia »

I suppose all this confusion and lack of clarity and understanding of the organisation, even amongst practicing members is a function of its secretiveness.

I can actually see parallels with the NRA here. Image

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Robin128

#66 Post by Robin128 »

Said it before...

"I'll say it again, an overall organisation like the USA NRA...without the Masons ruling the roost!"

On the level? ... my ar$e!"
TobyH

#67 Post by TobyH »

Funnily enough I went to a 'White Table' night last night where the Lodge had like an 'open day'. Basically to see if there were new people interested. It was quite an interesting evening.

I was given some information about the Masons and what they do, how they are run etc, and one of the booklets stated in no uncertain terms that you need to believe in something/someone. I think the atheism thing may be a little grey though, as deer hunter says, I suspect that if you could show that you have strong moral values there may be a way in.

It's a difficult one though.

As for the stuff about Dunblane, as Dangermouse says, they may have been Masons but there is no way that that would have been anything to do with any cover up. If you'd seen the way the Lodge is run you would understand why I can be so sure about what I'm saying.
Robin128

#68 Post by Robin128 »

TobyH,

Are all lodges run in such a just and upright way, just because it says so in your lodge's booklet?
TobyH

#69 Post by TobyH »

All Lodges (at least in the UK) are part of The Grand Lodge and are run in pretty much the same way. Moral values are of the highest order and NO criminal activity is tolerated (speeding tickets don't count!).

Please don't believe what you hear from the press or heresay, as it's usually complete rubbish. Unless you know from experience its best not to speculate.
The Deer Hunter

#70 Post by The Deer Hunter »

I don't know what all the fuss is about, after all Masons only rig the elections, fix the Oscars, they decide which supermarket can open in your town, they control the Police, the Courts, they even run the Adventure Scouts and my Mums painting class! Well they do if you believe all that you read on the net... What do people think that Masons are? Some kind of super men with super powers? The reality is that Masons are just normal people, working men and women, some, would you believe are even un-employed! :o Gosh, They're not all Politicians, high flying Bankers, Trade envoys or even all business men, just normal working people like the majority of folks out there. Why is it that the perception is that Masons can alter the Towns, Cities, and even countries that we all live in? Strange to say the least, but like I said before, what people don't know they will make up. :lol: It's a funny old world that we live in and wouldn't do for us all to be the same but unless you have first hand knowledge and some real life understanding and experience of a subject then how can you argue a point on here say? :?:

Edit.... Oooops almost the same as Toby's post! :oops: