Thames Valley Police Standardised Medical Form

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Thames Valley Police Standardised Medical Form

#61 Post by mag41uk »

To follow up to my earlier post.
Had an email a couple of weeks back asking for 3 years of shooting records, copy of fac and evidence of main club membership.
Duly sent off.
Had a call from local FEO today who asked a few questions regarding storage/security and blackpowder use.
We had a very amicable chat and he said he was happy to process the renewal without a visit. And I got a couple of variations too.
Cant grumble.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#62 Post by kennyc »

mag41uk wrote:To follow up to my earlier post.
Had an email a couple of weeks back asking for 3 years of shooting records, copy of fac and evidence of main club membership.
Duly sent off.
Had a call from local FEO today who asked a few questions regarding storage/security and blackpowder use.
We had a very amicable chat and he said he was happy to process the renewal without a visit. And I got a couple of variations too.
Cant grumble.
3 years ? that sounds a bit extreme! what do they base that request on?
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#63 Post by mag41uk »

kennyc wrote:
mag41uk wrote:To follow up to my earlier post.
Duly sent off.
Cant grumble.
3 years ? that sounds a bit extreme! what do they base that request on?
Not sure but was asked the same at last renewal!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#64 Post by Dark Skies »

I had the good sense to renew a year earlier and managed to dodge the extra expense I perceive my doctor may charge for if she wants to profit from it. Her practise is not cheap - I needed to sort out power of attorney for my mum lest she descends into dementia some time in the future. I needed a declaration to say mum was of sound mind - you need two if going for both welfare AND fianance even though it's the same declaration in one appointment 2 x £75.

Thames Valley came cap in hand pleading that an early renewal would help them eliminate the spike they anticipated when renewals in their area came around and would reduce their workload considerably.
Many months later I asked about their turnaround given I wanted to vary my FAC. Turns out they reckon a variation will take sixty days. The same time a renewal or an application might take before the early renewals program. Seems whenever there's a danger that they might actually get on top of their workload someone with egg on their cap decides to knock it back with some clever wheeze that will make zero difference to actual firearm crime but will look like they're tackling it.

If it saves one life ... I very much doubt this extra level of bo...cks will. It's a potential revenue stream for my doctor. It's a pass the buck strategy for the police. But at no time is it likely to be of real value to society.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies

#65 Post by Dark Skies »

kennyc wrote: 3 years ? that sounds a bit extreme! what do they base that request on?
They requested all my records from last cert to the date of early renewal.
Lots of paperwork I doubt they even glanced at. Also wanted club details AND photocopies of membership cards.
And idly queried medical info that wasn't on their guidance form. They're a law unto themselves these days.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#66 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote:
kennyc wrote: 3 years ? that sounds a bit extreme! what do they base that request on?
They requested all my records from last cert to the date of early renewal.
Lots of paperwork I doubt they even glanced at. Also wanted club details AND photocopies of membership cards.
wtf
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#67 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote:Turns out they reckon a variation will take sixty days.
60 days......! wallhead

The Met Police usually turn them around in 1-2 weeks.
Dark Skies

#68 Post by Dark Skies »

GeeRam wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:Turns out they reckon a variation will take sixty days.
60 days......! wallhead

The Met Police usually turn them around in 1-2 weeks.
How they do it where I'm headed in the not too distant future.

It’s a process that Leon Moore, the store manager at Outdoor Emporium, said can be tedious.
“I tell them to plan on at least a half-an-hour,”

https://mynorthwest.com/1324687/washing ... g-process/?
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#69 Post by Racalman »

Dark Skies wrote:I needed to sort out power of attorney for my mum lest she descends into dementia some time in the future. I needed a declaration to say mum was of sound mind - you need two if going for both welfare AND fianance even though it's the same declaration in one appointment 2 x £75.
I didn't know that was a requirement for an LPA. It needs to be signed by a "certificate provider", which is someone who confirms that you understand what the LPA is and haven’t been put under any pressure to sign it. They must be someone you know well or a professional such as a doctor or solicitor, but they charge so we got a friend to do it for us when we made our LPAs.
Dark Skies

#70 Post by Dark Skies »

Racalman wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:I needed to sort out power of attorney for my mum lest she descends into dementia some time in the future. I needed a declaration to say mum was of sound mind - you need two if going for both welfare AND fianance even though it's the same declaration in one appointment 2 x £75.
I didn't know that was a requirement for an LPA. It needs to be signed by a "certificate provider", which is someone who confirms that you understand what the LPA is and haven’t been put under any pressure to sign it. They must be someone you know well or a professional such as a doctor or solicitor, but they charge so we got a friend to do it for us when we made our LPAs.
Essentially that's what the certificate is for; to satisfy that the donor isn't signing under duress and understands its purpose. But if the donor is on the cusp of dementia they can't attest to that and a doctor won't witness it. Mum doesn't know many people now. They mostly dead or too senile. And getting witnesses is problematical. She's not keen on people she doesn't know. It's difficult in her / my case.
It was the doc or the solicitor and my experiences with most solicitors is they're slow, lazy and EXPENSIVE hacks. The key word here being expensive - the government want £80 a pop for each form on top. They could produce a third one which covered both but why would they deliberately lose revenue?
Parasites the lot of 'em. Looking after the elderly is an expensive and thankless task in Britain.