Shotgun capacity: Just what *can* I buy?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

SevenSixTwo

Shotgun capacity: Just what *can* I buy?

#1 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I'm applying for my FAC and I have been told you "might as well" apply for a shotgun slot while doing it. Fair enough I suppose.

Can someone clarify the rules in GB and NI for shotgun ownership with regards to pump actions and capacity? I've seen folk say 2+1 is the most you can have on a pump... but I've just seen 7+1.

:)
rocket-dog

Re: Shotgun capacity: Just what *can* I buy?

#2 Post by rocket-dog »

SevenSixTwo wrote:I have been told you "might as well" apply for a shotgun slot
Um. Can you clarify that for me? Are you intending to do practical or target shotgun? I am still poking around this FAC business too, I thought I had a fair understanding, and yet when I read a post like this I think I have missed something (again.) Thanks in advance.
SevenSixTwo

#3 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Both prac and target. :)
rocket-dog

#4 Post by rocket-dog »

rocket-dog wrote:
SevenSixTwo wrote:I have been told you "might as well" apply for a shotgun slot
Um. Can you clarify that for me? Are you intending to do practical or target shotgun? I am still poking around this FAC business too, I thought I had a fair understanding, and yet when I read a post like this I think I have missed something (again.) Thanks in advance.
Ha! So really you not applying for a shotgun slot just another "firearm". To keep things simple for I am a bear of very little brain, I just think of any shotgun with greater capacity than 3 rounds and or barrel(s) less than 24" as just a firearm not a shotgun. Try explaining it to an American! Thanks.
SevenSixTwo

#5 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I'm in NI and there is no legal distinction between a firearm and a shotgun so I guess a 7+1 model or similar would be acceptable under my application (if I can demonstrate a genuine need of course - i.e. practical)?
rocket-dog

#6 Post by rocket-dog »

SevenSixTwo wrote:I'm in NI and there is no legal distinction between a firearm and a shotgun so I guess a 7+1 model or similar would be acceptable under my application (if I can demonstrate a genuine need of course - i.e. practical)?
Yes it is different across the water isn't it? If you try to explain to an American the difference between a shotgun certificate, firearms certificate, and shotguns that are classed as firearms (or should that be held on a firearms certificate?) it can get complicated. Here it is greater than 3 rounds means firearms certificate. Silly really. Good luck. Have fun.
SevenSixTwo

#7 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I'll be heading back to the Mainland in a couple of years so I'm just wondering whether it's worth getting a 'Section 1 shotgun' here only to have it taken off me again in England?...

I wouldn't want to draw any unnecessary attention to myself.
saddler

#8 Post by saddler »

rocket-dog wrote:Ha! So really you not applying for a shotgun slot just another "firearm". To keep things simple for I am a bear of very little brain, I just think of any shotgun with greater capacity than 3 rounds and or barrel(s) less than 24" as just a firearm not a shotgun.
...except a self-loader or pump action with a barrel under 24" is a Section 5 item!!

& what is a shotgun "slot" - for a std. shotgun that is NOT a S.1 gun, it by default is S.2 (except for some S.5 types) so no "slot" is needed to buy it
saddler

#9 Post by saddler »

SevenSixTwo wrote:I'll be heading back to the Mainland in a couple of years so I'm just wondering whether it's worth getting a 'Section 1 shotgun' here only to have it taken off me again in England?...

I wouldn't want to draw any unnecessary attention to myself.
Get one - use it for 2 years & have fun with it

Target shotgun IS a common pastime nowadays & getting more so - plus some force areas have no problem with S.1 shotgun for vermin & pest control use
rocket-dog

#10 Post by rocket-dog »

saddler wrote:
rocket-dog wrote:Ha! So really you not applying for a shotgun slot just another "firearm". To keep things simple for I am a bear of very little brain, I just think of any shotgun with greater capacity than 3 rounds and or barrel(s) less than 24" as just a firearm not a shotgun.
...except a self-loader or pump action with a barrel under 24" is a Section 5 item!!

& what is a shotgun "slot" - for a std. shotgun that is NOT a S.1 gun, it by default is S.2 (except for some S.5 types) so no "slot" is needed to buy it
S1 or S5 a shotgun with greater capacity than 3 rounds and or barrel(s) less than 24" is a firearm (as defined by the statutes covering England and Wales) in that it isn't covered by SC/S2. Just because mere mortals can't own firearms (dictionary sense) that come under S5 doesn't make them not firearms as the term is used within statues covering England and Wales. As we mortals can't get S5 and dealers can't sell S5 (as such) to us mere mortals then the idea of a self loader with barrels less than 24" and a capacity greater than 3 is a bit of none issue really.

Always thought it cuckoo that shotguns, the widely available gun, are categorised as Section 2. While the next category of gun available to the public but more restricted are Section 1. You would think widely available would be one, next level (more restricted) two, and so on up to five.