Target Shotgun Banned!!!!

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Target Shotgun Banned!!!!

#1 Post by Sim G »

Well, it looks like Target Shotgun has been effectively banned by Landmarc/MoD/Small minded ignorance....

Several years ago when Target Shotgun appeared on the NRA list of disciplines, some of us were ecstatic! A new discipline in which we could use the guns that for some obscure reason are treated by some as "weapons of mass destruction"....

Anyway, my club approached the military training estate and Landmarc in relation to the this on the ranges we use, Lydd and Hythe military ranges. It was looked at and in essence, decided the use on the range posed no more risk than the ballistically equivilent Brown Bess musket! The only thing "requested" by the range authorities was to let them know on which range days we would be shooting target shotgun, so we could use old target boards. All very fair.

It went from a half a dozen of us with S1 shotguns to probably around thirty in our club alone. This then filtered to other clubs that used the ranges and I believe the local stores had quite a run on guns, slug and loading components!

Well, it had to happen! Someone has come along and kicked it into touch! Looks like the new Range Warden has turned up and doesn't like the idea of "civilians" using such "weapons". (Strangely enough, this bloke is now a civilian and just like 60% of our club, an EX-serviceman!)

Looks like he started off with approaching the NRA for the RCO qualifications in relation to this. He was told no different from gallery rifle. Then, he wanted a copy of the FAC's of those who wished to shoot target shotgun to show they had authority for this "class of weapon"!

Now, it's been decided that solid slug doesn't fit the range safety template!! These ranges are cleared for .50 BMG!

So, effectively, Target Shotgun has been banned for use on these ranges......
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
M99

Re: Target Shotgun Banned!!!!

#2 Post by M99 »

It would be worth getting a copy of the range safety template - sad as it sounds, I just happened to be reading the one for 1908s this morning and shotgun/slug is specifically mentioned as being acceptable!

I'll forward you the pdf now.

Mike
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Get onto the NRA, this what we pay them for, hopefully?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
saddler

#4 Post by saddler »

He sounds like a right jobsworth - did your dad have a bicycle??

The Range Template allows the solid slug to be used, the new-broom Range Warden does not personally like them to be used/owned by non-military personnel...

I'd do as above - contact the NRA - AND I would also contact Landmarc, in writing (you may need to get an adult to help you with the longer words) to both lodge a formal complaint AND obtain a copy of the job description for the Range Warden for the the area in question: as if he is NOT complying with range conditions then he's not doing the role he is paid to do
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

Never been allowed to use them at Pontelands MOD range, not for any safety reason, just because they do too much damage to the target boards. Is that the target boards the club pays for then?? :roll:
DVC
4Islander

#6 Post by 4Islander »

Have you asked the NTSA what they are going to do about it ? :grin:

http://targetshotgun.org.uk/
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#7 Post by dodgyrog »

Blackstuff wrote:Never been allowed to use them at Pontelands MOD range, not for any safety reason, just because they do too much damage to the target boards. Is that the target boards the club pays for then?? :roll:
Hi Mark,
I didn't know that!
Yes we pay through the nose for them!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Sim G

#8 Post by Sim G »

Like stated, when originally granted the permission, the only thing Landmarc asked for was notification so that old target boards were used...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#9 Post by mr smith »

dromia wrote:Get onto the NRA, this what we pay them for, hopefully?

I believe target shotgun has it's own rep within the nra.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#10 Post by dodgyrog »

Is that Andy Duffy? He runs target shotgun shoots at Short Siberia.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.