CWGC Grave.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
R.G.C

Re: CWGC Grave.

#11 Post by R.G.C »

Geordie bloke wrote:Well done Jenks!
Without being sentimental - Nice to know that someone cares. You reap what you sow!

Chapeau, Jenks

1st Battalion Hampshires relieved Somerset light Infantry in Ploegsteert Wood 28th (Plugstreet in Tommy speak.)

BTW, Ploegsteert is my place of birth...

Have you visited the new CWG cimetary in Fromelles. I know this place very well, as I was living in view of the battlefield at Le Bridoux during WW2.

R.G.C
Jenks

#12 Post by Jenks »

Polchraine..

Had a look at every headstone in the churchyard. no sign of Sgt. Hillier. I wonder if it could be that his name is on the war memorial that is in the church and he is buried elsewhere. I can't get in as the door is locked and the key which is usually kept in the local shop has gone walkies.

To all who have offered donations or to help in raising funds. Thank so much. I'm sure that our local community will rally round when the time comes. I will let you Know how it is going. Nothing can happen until after the PPC meeting in January.

Jenks
Jenks

#13 Post by Jenks »

RGC..

No I haven't visited Fromelles yet. Perhaps I will the next time we visit Lille for a couple of days.

Jenks
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is a good cause, please count me in as well.

As an aside just 20 yards from our doorstep is the grave of Edward Titmus Captain Late of the Dragoon Guards. He died in 1842 yet it is still well tended as is the rest of the church yard.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
barney57

#15 Post by barney57 »

Jenks
What can I say,, other than well done that man,,,Unfortunately it seems to be more the case of these somewhat forgotten war graves in this country,,only a short while back we buried my sister in the main Cemetary in Penzance Cornwall,, whilst there I and other members of the family went around and visited the graves of other forgone family members,, ashamedly most of us do not live local to the area anymore and our visits are few and far between,,,,however on looking around the cemetary,, we knew there was a war graves plot,, which is keep in pretty good shape,, however we also came across individual wargraves dotted all over the place didnt even realise that they were there before,, we thought that they were all in the same place,,,unfortunately these ones were not in such as good state of repair as those in the main plot,,I believe my eldest son who is the Area Adult Warrant officer for the local ATC Wing is planning to get these graves tidied up,, now that he knows that they are there...

That said I am very moved by your post today,,,,and I have a tenner here for your fund raising,,,PM me with an address to send it too,, and it will be done...not much but it all helps...

Thank you Jenks

Barney.. :flag13: :good:
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
Kernow Bys Vyken (Cornwall for ever)
Dave 101

#16 Post by Dave 101 »

Good call Jenks . Include me on the donation list please .

Dave
barney57

#17 Post by barney57 »

Dont really understand why this thread has been moved here,, where it appears to be attracting less attention,,,especially when people are offering to help out???? Time of year,, Good will to all men and what not???

Christel
Site Admin

#18 Post by Christel »

barney57 wrote:Dont really understand why this thread has been moved here,, where it appears to be attracting less attention,,,especially when people are offering to help out???? Time of year,, Good will to all men and what not???
Because subject wise it does not belong in GOM, I have sent the OP a PM regarding this. If he asks me to move it back then it will be moved back. Until then I think it is nice for the entire forum to see this thread. It does not attract less attention in this section, the majority of members use the entire forum.
barney57

#19 Post by barney57 »

christel wrote:
barney57 wrote:Dont really understand why this thread has been moved here,, where it appears to be attracting less attention,,,especially when people are offering to help out???? Time of year,, Good will to all men and what not???
Because subject wise it does not belong in GOM, I have sent the OP a PM regarding this. If he asks me to move it back then it will be moved back. Until then I think it is nice for the entire forum to see this thread. It does not attract less attention in this section, the majority of members use the entire forum.

FARE ONE,,,,,Just seemed to me that most of the posts on it were made when it was in GOM...

Angelfire

#20 Post by Angelfire »

Aye, it's all been said Jenks, but well done anyhow. Like our other friends, I will contribute, and be happy to do so.

Phil*
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.