Anyone got an Armscor nitro muzzle loading revolver?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Primer

Anyone got an Armscor nitro muzzle loading revolver?

#1 Post by Primer »

As per the subject heading, does anyone on here own one as I've reserved one plus 2 extra cylinders from Alan Westlake ?

If so how do you find it?

Did you also order extra cylinders, if so did you have any problems with getting them on your license?
phaedra1106

Re: Anyone got an Armscor nitro muzzle loading revolver?

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

I almost did the same but Alan wasn't sure of a delivery date. I also looked at the Ardesa Vortek as Kranks are now listing the in their 2013/14 catalogue.

In the end I think I'm going to buy something "black and military" a nice new straight pull in 300aac. I can either load down for lead subsonic rounds on the indoor range or up for FMJ at around 2300fps on the outdoor range :good:
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Primer

#3 Post by Primer »

Alan said they should be in by the end of January and the match barrel versions in February, so hopefully they will be on schedule, would be nice to think they would be available for the shooting show in Feb but then it would need a miracle for my variation to come through.
Individual

#5 Post by Individual »

Yes I have one, and so do others at my club.

I didn't request an extra cylinder - so I can't comment on that. Although as it is a muzzle loader I can't see it being much of an issue? Perhaps there are others on here who know more.

They are fun to shoot.
They are functional.
The (standard version) accuracy is fine, as long as you don't expect target pistol results. I can group about 5" at 25 yards unsupported - sights are rudimentary. NB I am rubbish with a pistol.
They are not a 'high end' firearm, and they can be a bit rough and ready.
Out of the box mine shot 12 inches high and 6 inches right, the barrel shroud was offset and affected the foresight, but I fixed that with a vice and a long lever ( dont try this at home I might have been lucky). It now shoots close enough to POA for me.

The finish looks more like black paint than parkerising, it is soft and it marks fairly easily.
The single action trigger pull is as good or perhaps better than my Taurus was.
The lock up is kinda OK, but nothing special.
The double action pull is a bit heavy, but suspect thats mostly down to the trigger return spring being a bit over-zealous.
Didnt like the standard grips - so have replaced with pachmayrs, which are more comfortable, but slightly snag the cylinder as tiu take it out/put it in.
Supplied loading press works - as long as your bullets are properly sized :squirrel:
I can load a cylinder in about 2 minutes.

what else would you lke to know?
Primer

#6 Post by Primer »

Individual wrote:Yes I have one, and so do others at my club.

I didn't request an extra cylinder - so I can't comment on that. Although as it is a muzzle loader I can't see it being much of an issue? Perhaps there are others on here who know more.

They are fun to shoot.
They are functional.
The (standard version) accuracy is fine, as long as you don't expect target pistol results. I can group about 5" at 25 yards unsupported - sights are rudimentary. NB I am rubbish with a pistol.
They are not a 'high end' firearm, and they can be a bit rough and ready.
Out of the box mine shot 12 inches high and 6 inches right, the barrel shroud was offset and affected the foresight, but I fixed that with a vice and a long lever ( dont try this at home I might have been lucky). It now shoots close enough to POA for me.

The finish looks more like black paint than parkerising, it is soft and it marks fairly easily.
The single action trigger pull is as good or perhaps better than my Taurus was.
The lock up is kinda OK, but nothing special.
The double action pull is a bit heavy, but suspect thats mostly down to the trigger return spring being a bit over-zealous.
Didnt like the standard grips - so have replaced with pachmayrs, which are more comfortable, but slightly snag the cylinder as tiu take it out/put it in.
Supplied loading press works - as long as your bullets are properly sized :squirrel:
I can load a cylinder in about 2 minutes.

what else would you lke to know?
Cool thanks for the reply :goodjob:

So knowing what you know now would you buy another or would you look at something else?

What bullets do you use, just wadcutters or have you tried anything else?

Do you cast your own bullets?

If not what, where from and how much do they cost?

Is everyone else at your club happy with them, do any of them have spare cylinders or just use the one?

Thanks again.
Individual

#7 Post by Individual »

Would I buy one again ?
Yes - because I don't know of a cheaper double action nitro revolver. Converting a Taurus is just too expensive. When I win the lottery, I might go that route.

One owner has had problems, but Alan has resolved it so no complaints.

We are using plain wadcutters, as we have not found a source of hollow based ones at reasonable price. We bought some wadcutters from Andy Allwood which are fine. I think they were about 7-8 squid a hundred. I don't cast my own as I don't have time.

No one else I know has a spare cylinder, we just shoot 6 round stages, which has worked well enough so far.
Primer

#8 Post by Primer »

Excellent info, thanks

Think i will just go for a 1 for 1 variation this time to make it simple and look at extra cylinders in the future, hopefully by then there will be a few interested parties at my club.

Now for which slot to give up

LBP
.357 LBR
.357 Underlever rifle

decisions decisions
Dannywayoflife

#9 Post by Dannywayoflife »

I have a variation in for one of these :)
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#10 Post by Mike357 »

Guy at my club had his Taurus converted by Alan and had no issue with extra cylinder. I'd ask for two or three extra now (justify it with the need to shoot comps etc etc) and you can always have room for your FEO to knock you down. You don't have to buy them all at once either.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!