12 bore slug conditions

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

12 bore slug conditions

#1 Post by pe4king »

Received my FAC back from variation today, which was good however there was a note attached, which read as follows.

"It has been brought to our attention by the MOD that there will be no future use of 12 bore slug ammunition on Hythe or Lydd ranges.

This may well impact your "good reason" to possess and use your section one shotgun, please consider an alternative venue for such use at your earliest convenience, and advise this department as soon as possible."

has anybody else who uses MOD ranges come across this.
There have been murmurings for a few months at Hythe about slug having different ricochet characteristics that normal danger area templates don't cover.
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Sim G

Re: 12 bore slug conditions

#2 Post by Sim G »

Well, up to Bisley for a bit of Target Shotgun then, Kev? We'll get the club to book it so it's auditable and tell the "new bloke" to shove it!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
John25

#3 Post by John25 »

There are a number of ranges which are cleared for slug and hold competitions.

Tell your FEO that you intend to shoot competitions as sanctionerd by the NRA. Target Shotgun is a fully recognised discipline.

One ranges change of use does not in any way 'reduce' your good reason.

:cheers:
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#4 Post by pe4king »

That seems the way to go Sim, the condition on my ticket only mentions suitable ranges with adequate insurance cover, or words to that effect, whilst a member of the club, it does not specify specific ranges
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by IainWR »

MoD do actually publish the Danger Area dimensions for Combat Shotgun with both slug and buckshot, so it should be possible to check whether this is a genuine restriction or something thought up to make life difficult.
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by mr smith »

Tayside in their wisdom have not put any conditions on the use of slug on my ticket or those of a few other guys at the club.
saddler

#7 Post by saddler »

mr smith wrote:Tayside in their wisdom have not put any conditions on the use of slug on my ticket or those of a few other guys at the club.
My first ever slug condition was to buy/use a named number of slugs on ONE specific day at Bisley.

...another condition on the FAC cancelled this condition out...or it didn't....depending on your understanding of the English language
lasbrisas

#8 Post by lasbrisas »

When I had slug added I just stated it was for Target Shotgun use, had no mention of specific clubs. You will also need a shooter cert for this aswell for places like Bisley otherwise you can't participate.
johngarnett
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#9 Post by johngarnett »

I don't know if opening the perverbial 'can of worms' here but......

I've got my target and practical shotgun on order but I'm going to have to feed it with something.

Please could the experienced shotgunners amongst us give some suggestions re slug ammo and shot size used in comp.

Does SG / 00 etc come into play at all? I realise handloading is an option but lets walk first ;)

Thanks

JohnG :cornwall:
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Slug ammo - just get whatever you can get a consistent supply of. Lots of Geco around this way after the S&B stock dried up. Generally the more open the choke the more accurate but you need to do a bit of practice to see what works best for your gun.

Buckshot for PSG 9 times out of 10 is required to be 8/9 ball which is SG size in the UK. Buckshot is the least used ammo type in UKPSA competitions but I don't know about fourisland matches. Probably get through less than 150 cartridges a year.

The majority of ammo used is birdshot. For practice or low level matches I just use the cheapest stuff I can get my hands on which is clay loads - 28g #7.5, put it through a modified (1/2) choke and it does fine out to 15m. For higher level stuff or when I know I'm going to have to shoot beyond 15m ill use 30/32g #6's or #5's.
DVC