which action Gas or Recoil?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Primer

which action Gas or Recoil?

#1 Post by Primer »

So my next purchase is probably going to be a sec1 shotgun for practical shotgun but what's best for a new starter to practical shooting in terms of shotgun action? And good recommended makes?

Obviously gas seems much cheaper but from what I've been reading needs more maintenance with the ports needing cleaning every few hundred shots but then recoil systems seem much more expensive ( aka Benneli), I have upto £900 budget at the moment or in a couple of months quite a bit more.
techguy

Re: which action Gas or Recoil?

#2 Post by techguy »

A pump ;)

If you're new to PSG, i'd suggest trying out a few S2 versions to get the feel for what you like.

The Benellis are very popular on the circuit but expensive, the other one to look out for is the mossberg jm 930. Theres only a few in the country at the moment and forseeable future..

Have you shot any PSG yet?
johngarnett
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#3 Post by johngarnett »

Check out Lantac for JM Mossberg 930. Few left apparently!

JohnG :cornwall:
SevenSixTwo

#4 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Primer

#5 Post by Primer »

techguy wrote:A pump ;)

If you're new to PSG, i'd suggest trying out a few S2 versions to get the feel for what you like.

The Benellis are very popular on the circuit but expensive, the other one to look out for is the mossberg jm 930. Theres only a few in the country at the moment and forseeable future..

Have you shot any PSG yet?
No not done any yet, just done mini rifle and got myself a TSC Pro 1911 last week for pistol shooting.

Watched a Youtube video this morning (big daddy hoffman i think) on the mossberg jm 930, nice bit of kit but it was finicky with ammo used as he had many failure to extracts till before trying different cartridges then it ran ok.

There seems to be quite a mixed bag being used by the guys at my club, a few Hatsans, winchesters and the rich guys have the Benellis, the club is also supposed to be developing their own version of a Revo semi (recently new in from Turkey) as they use winchester parts and use recoil/inertia cycling and will be around the £500 mark but development seems to be slow.

What pro's and cons do either cycling systems have?
Primer

#6 Post by Primer »

SevenSixTwo wrote:Hmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... m1E#t=321s

I'm not convinced.
Yeah thats what i watched this morning, would of been interesting if he had tried a few other makes and types of ammo through it, including buckshot and slugs rather than just birdshot and also tried to analyise the first make of cartridge and compared it with the second to try and see why they didnt extract properly. Interestingly i think he stated that none of his semi's like the independance cartridges but they run on the estate stuff, so why he tried the rubbish stuff through this one and didnt think of trying different ammo straight away i do not know.
SevenSixTwo

#7 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Things is 'finicky with ammo' would always kinda put me off. Stoppages like that in the video just make my blood run cold.

I'll have a pump, thank you ta.
techguy

#8 Post by techguy »

Thats generally a problem with autos regardless of the system. Autos 'can' be ammo fussy. Also just because it works ok in chap A's gun, doesnt mean the same ammo will work ok in an identical gun. (have seen it with my own eyes)

Tis one of the reasons I shoot pump, i know it will shoot anything i throw at it.

£500 for a revo semi? Sounds pricey even if its tricked out...(interesting project though, I contemplating doing the same with a hatsan..)
Primer

#9 Post by Primer »

techguy wrote:Thats generally a problem with autos regardless of the system. Autos 'can' be ammo fussy. Also just because it works ok in chap A's gun, doesnt mean the same ammo will work ok in an identical gun. (have seen it with my own eyes)

Tis one of the reasons I shoot pump, i know it will shoot anything i throw at it.

£500 for a revo semi? Sounds pricey even if its tricked out...(interesting project though, I contemplating doing the same with a hatsan..)
I didn't think £500 was too bad as they retail for between 375-425 in standard trim before adding a mag tube extension and barrel clamp.
techguy

#10 Post by techguy »

Are they that much in standard trim? Ok..wow...didn't realise! How do they stack up against the standard Hatsans?

Will look forward to seeing the developments, I love to see what people do to shotguns to make them quicker and slicker for PSG!