BP, what do I need ?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dahonis

BP, what do I need ?

#1 Post by Dahonis »

Hi folks,

Barring the pistol and the BP licence, what else would I need, i.e kit wise ?, or can you buy a basic kit.....

Not looking to spend a fortune or any comp stuff.....just pure smoke filled room fun :grin:

Pistol will possibly be .44

Regards

Chris
Watcher

Re: BP, what do I need ?

#2 Post by Watcher »

An understanding spouse!

A powder flask;
A nipple wrench (not that one!);
A ball mould (in due course);
A seive;
A bucket;
A good screw driver set to match the gun;
A shed!

I used to shoot a BP Uberti. The issue is the cleaning. I used to strip mine completely after every session (hence the good screw driver set). For cleaning I use to use a BP solvent which you mix with boiling water (hence the bucket or washing up bowl). To avoid loosing the little parts I used to put them in a sieve (not my wifes!).

In due course you might want to buy a mould specific to your cylinders.

All the specifics can be bought from Kranks. Good luck!
Mikaveli

#3 Post by Mikaveli »

An FAC with an open slot for a muzzle loading pistol or revolver.

An 'acquire and keep' explosives certificate and storage box for black powder. ...or a substitute and thick skin. :)
Dahonis

#4 Post by Dahonis »

Watcher wrote:An understanding spouse!

A powder flask;
A nipple wrench (not that one!);
A ball mould (in due course);
A seive;
A bucket;
A good screw driver set to match the gun;
A shed!

I used to shoot a BP Uberti. The issue is the cleaning. I used to strip mine completely after every session (hence the good screw driver set). For cleaning I use to use a BP solvent which you mix with boiling water (hence the bucket or washing up bowl). To avoid loosing the little parts I used to put them in a sieve (not my wifes!).

In due course you might want to buy a mould specific to your cylinders.

All the specifics can be bought from Kranks. Good luck!
Brill, not that much stuff really to be honest. Thank you for your reply's sign92

Regards

Chris
Watcher

#5 Post by Watcher »

Send off for a Kranks catalogue - there's plenty to buy if you've a mind to!!

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=index
Dahonis

#6 Post by Dahonis »

Thanks Watcher for the link, now ordered.

I shall siphon some money from the bank account each month as not to arouse too much suspicion.

I do have a very understanding wife, unless it comes to guns or hunting...doh
Watcher

#7 Post by Watcher »

Just remembered - a pot of grease. Used to smear on the front of the loaded chamber in front of the ball to prevent 'flash over'. If your balls are tight ..... this shouldn't be a problem but better safe than sorry. I used to use a large syringe to apply it.

I used to enjoy BP pistol but in the end I used to shoot at an indoor club during the week and you really needed to clean the pistol that night. This meant in a small shed/coal hole at ten at night in the freezing cold! In the end I donated the pistol to the club.
Mikaveli

#8 Post by Mikaveli »

Watcher wrote:Just remembered - a pot of grease. Used to smear on the front of the loaded chamber in front of the ball to prevent 'flash over'. If your balls are tight ..... this shouldn't be a problem but better safe than sorry. I used to use a large syringe to apply it.

I used to enjoy BP pistol but in the end I used to shoot at an indoor club during the week and you really needed to clean the pistol that night. This meant in a small shed/coal hole at ten at night in the freezing cold! In the end I donated the pistol to the club.
Am I missing something - why can't you clean it indoors?
Doz

#9 Post by Doz »

Mikaveli wrote:Am I missing something - why can't you clean it indoors?
Think that depends on your other half! I put one of mine (minus it's grips) in the dishwasher, but then I have a particularly understanding wife...
waterford103
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#10 Post by waterford103 »

Get a stainless one then when you've fired it take of the grips ,take out the cylinder and ,when the boss is not looking ,put it in the dishwasher .DON'T GET CAUGHT ! When dry ,oil lightly and retire.

:flag6:
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933