Anyone for a spare USD1800?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa

Anyone for a spare USD1800?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

If so you can buy a 'scope for a No4 Mk1(T)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0642161301

Incredible! I have paid less for cars and considerably less for rifles, fifteen hundred quid plus for a 'scope, is this a sign of the times? The problem here is as people start to ask increasingly higher prices people will accordingly assume they are worth more.

Recent examples I have seen are no4 Mk1(T) boxed GBP5000 and L42A1 GBP7500. I was offered an L42A1 for GBP750 three or four years ago and thought it was too much... :oops:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

Re: Anyone for a spare USD1800?

#2 Post by pe4king »

ovenpaa wrote:I was offered an L42A1 for GBP750 three or four years ago and thought it was too much... :oops:
I bet you wish you had taken the offer, :roll: I would have bitten an arm off even then, still ifs and buts.
My dad had a No32 scope from a boot a couple of years ago for £125, he asked me to sell it for him I put it on ebay and sold it for £465 when I went to give him the money he told me to keep it, if I had known that from the start I woud have kept the bloody scope
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

pe4king wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:I was offered an L42A1 for GBP750 three or four years ago and thought it was too much... :oops:
I bet you wish you had taken the offer, :roll: I would have bitten an arm off even then, still ifs and buts.
My dad had a No32 scope from a boot a couple of years ago for £125, he asked me to sell it for him I put it on ebay and sold it for £465 when I went to give him the money he told me to keep it, if I had known that from the start I woud have kept the bloody scope
Just after I heard of this someone I know picked one up for similar price, could not get on with it and sold it very quickly at a modest profit and was delighted. we talked about L42 prices again last year and he was quite philosophical about the whole thing as he did not loose on it. We agreed at the time the current prices at 4k plus were silly, now a few months later they have all but doubled.

No32 'scopes are a fine example of demand out stripping supply so prices rise accordingly. Makes me wonder how many of the 25,000 ish built are still around. Like the Rocket Gold Star probably more than were built in the first place!

I still have a hankering for the Parker-Hale M-85 :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
25Pdr

#4 Post by 25Pdr »

Ovenpaa....

<Recent examples I have seen are no4 Mk1(T) boxed GBP5000 and L42A1 GBP7500.>

Can you knowledgeable Riflemen tell me what a L42A1 has that a PH T4 hasn't???

E.G. I picked up a PH T4 similar to this one in great condition for £125 four years ago.

pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#5 Post by pe4king »

25Pdr wrote:Ovenpaa....

<Recent examples I have seen are no4 Mk1(T) boxed GBP5000 and L42A1 GBP7500.>

Can you knowledgeable Riflemen tell me what a L42A1 has that a PH T4 hasn't???

E.G. I picked up a PH T4 similar to this one in great condition for £125 four years ago.
Accuracy wise probably very little, The T4 is an underestimated beast, bear in mind that at one time this was one of the mainstays of british target shooting.
The L42 in another thing they are much rarer even than the No4t I dont know the actual numbers but not that many were released and when they were it was to overseas dealers.
Then you have the whole collectability thing with sniper rifles, I dont really know what it is about them, but the prices have gone through the roof recently
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.