Which Powders give the best value over accuracy???

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
indyartworks

Which Powders give the best value over accuracy???

#1 Post by indyartworks »

Hi,

Having just dived in and purchased a Hornady Classic Lock N Load kit complete with .308 Hornady Custom dies.
I am seeking advice on which powders are best to buy, preferrable a bulk buy in order to realize the best savings... but which ones and who is the better most competative supplier?

Thanking you in anticipation

Best regards to you all

Indy
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Which Powders give the best value over accuracy???

#2 Post by dromia »

Welcome! :wave: :grin:

Why not introduce yourself on the new members forum.

Your question is rather meaningless without further information such as, boolit/bullet weight, distance to be shot, velocity and application.

I'm not a big fan of the 308 but I am big fan of Vihtavuori powders, N140 would be a good choice, has good availability and is available in 3 1/2 kilo jugs. However each suitable powder will have its own advocate.

I suggest that you look at the load data for the different powder manufacturers, it is all available on-line.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I use Vitavouri N140 in my 308 with excellent results. I also use it in my .303 rifles.
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

Hi and welcome

In my old Remmy PSS set up I found that I had excellent results with Varget which can be sourced in 8lb tubs.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
indyartworks

#5 Post by indyartworks »

Thank you all so far for the valuable information shared, I do fully appreciate the comments about bullet weight, distance to be shot, velocity and application, very valid points. I would have supplied this info if I had settled on those factors, however having just started in Target shooting with a Paramount 30" 1/13 twist I am still feeling my way along the walls in the darkness.

I am sure that my eyes will become accustomed in time but I thought I would ask one question at a time as I am aware their is a lot of information already published on this site.

Regards

Indy
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

Of you are shooting TR with a 13 twist it'll be 155 grain bullet.

Sierra Matchking 2156 Palma match, would likely be the bullet of choice :goodjob:

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Dougan

#7 Post by Dougan »

indyartworks wrote:having just started in Target shooting with a Paramount 30" 1/13 twist
Then you will most likely be using 155 gn HPBT bullets - The most commonly used powders for .308 TR are Vihtavouri N140 (as already mentioned) and a new powder meant to be very similar called TR140 ...this new powder is cheaper in bulk compared to Viht N140 and is aimed at the TR market...

...if you use the 'search' function, there has been a few threads about TR140.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :good:

Edit: Alan is right, the 155 gn bullet will most likely end up being a Sierra Matchking