Range behaviour simplified ...

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Ovenpaa

Re: Range behaviour simplified ...

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

IainWR wrote:The South African rule book has a list of useful hints in something like the same style. It includes a comment along the lines of "If your partner is having difficulty finding the target, look out for the splash of his shot so you can help him get a hit. By the way, this is against the rules, so tell him quietly."
Hehe, I do like that and yes we have all seen it done.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
John25

#12 Post by John25 »

IainWR wrote:
John25 wrote:[quote="IainWR
But the "for dummies" answer remains - point your loaded firearm at the target.

Do the non dummy 'clever dicks' have to comply as well?

:twisted:
No - if they are genuinely clever they understand fully the construction of a range safety template, will have looked up the detail of the one for the range and firearm in use, and will carefully exploit the actual limits to the extent necessary to achieve their responsibly-conducted range activity.

Alternatively, they could stick with the simple approach - point your loaded firearm at the target. :wave:
surrender.jpg
surrender.jpg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

As for South Africa? I hope it rains :twisted:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
JSHarris
Home club or Range: Old Windsor

#13 Post by JSHarris »

Superb,

quite happy to include in second edition of TS rules , which are already in progress........
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#14 Post by IainWR »

feel free to publish anywhere!
karen

#15 Post by karen »

John25 wrote: As for South Africa? I hope it rains :twisted:
I will send you a lovely photo every day :55:

Love

karen
John25

#16 Post by John25 »

Oh thank you so much.

tongueout
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Maggot

#17 Post by Maggot »

ovenpaa wrote:
Dougan wrote:And not so serious: Can't those reactive hearing muffs be banned - It's quite off-putting when you're having a chat behind the point to have folk 5 targets down giving you disapproving looks razz
Noo... I wear them and they can be quite handy on occasion, just wind the volume up I can hear a pin drop at the other side of the firing point. I invariably turn them down or off when shooting.
No, and as someone who spent years field firing I believe they are the one thing that that should be made mandatory!!!

If we all wore them then we would not have to shout, thus peeing off those desperately trying to concentrate on reading the wind etc.

IF you are going to have an animated discussion about such things as the male traits (Guess who tesnews ) and things to do with marigold gloves behind a firing point I am on, then prepare yourself for a 30" steel supository.

God made barrels out of stainless for a reason, the only down side of F class is that the barrels dont have bayonette lugs!!

I had this very problem yesterday...when we asked the RCO to ask them to Pipe down, I was ridiculed (in front of the masses) as it was "Putting Chris Ballard off"....and everyone else.

I had turned my actives off (this making communication between firers more difficult and the RCO inaudible) to shut these clowns out and it was not enough.

"I am quite happy with them chatting" was the comment...well we were not and part of the RCOs job is to facilitate a good shoot as well as safety.

It was a comp, unless you are shooting you should not be on or near the point, and certainly not gobbing off behind the firers.

Sensible conversation is good, but if you have to shout, do it somewhere else....or suffer.

Not aimed at you personally Dougan, but in any other sport it is poor etiquete to even talk near someone who is concentrating.

Golf, Bowls, chess (eh?) all the target sports, its just not right and actives are there for the benefit of the user and safety in general.

I am still really, really rabid about this....can you tell????? sign01
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#18 Post by shugie »

Does the 70 millirad rule apply to actually pulling the trigger as well? I'm still very much a newb to shooting, but I noticed someone hitting the very top of the sand at Short Siberia yesterday afternoon. I did wonder where their projectile would have gone had it been an inch or two higher.
Careful now/that sort of thing
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by IainWR »

If you are hitting the stop butt you are a long way below 70 mils. 70 mils at 123 metres (the distance from the 100 m firing point to the top of the Siberia stop butt) subtends 8.6 metres, or over 28 feet. The Siberia stop butt is about 17 feet high - about 46 mil.

Our rule on hitting and missing with the first shot says that you must stop and find out what's wrong if your first shot misses, unless:

It was seen to strike the stop butt or the ground
You have found and fixed an obvious fault (eg wrong elevation, loose foresight)
There is evidence you have crossfired
There is evidence you have the wrong wind setting on the gun
The RO says you may carry on

These conditions apply in competition. I am considering asking Shooting Committee to make them a safety rule, applicable at all times. Views on that are welcome from NRA members - the season for taking NRA rules opened on 25 September and closes on 15 November - see the NRA electronic bulletin due out anytime soon.

So if you hit the sand that's OK.
Dougan

#20 Post by Dougan »

Maggot wrote:Not aimed at you personally Dougan, but in any other sport it is poor etiquete to even talk near someone who is concentrating.

Golf, Bowls, chess (eh?) all the target sports, its just not right and actives are there for the benefit of the user and safety in general
Not taking it personally at all Colin; but I still don't necessarily agree with you and Dave on this one...

...If it's at a proper competition, like the Phoenix etc. then proper decorum behind the firing point should be maintained - but if you book your club competitions on normal range days (as we do), then you have to take it as you find it...personally I find it part of the challenge to ignore long range pistol shooters, black powder smoke, cadets BBQing, and sometimes heckling from my own club-mates...last time I was shooting really well I could here the buggers talking loudly about a wasp that was 'apparently' crawling up my trouser leg :lol:

And, how much does an RCO need to communicate with shooters?...the person shooting should know what they're doing; and with us he or she only communicates with the scorer/RCO, which is usually by hand signal anyway...

...as for safety, good organisation and briefing helps, and a good RCO should be preventing and anticipating problems without the need for constant reorganising...and if there is a real safety issue, then there isn't time for protracted discussion anyway...

...I'm pretty sure Col that no matter what was going on around me, if you shouted 'stop stop stop'...I'd hear it razz

No, I recon you guys should bin your flashy bins, then you could concentrate on what's going on in front of you... razz razz