NRA Target Shotgun rule book

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
JSHarris
Home club or Range: Old Windsor

NRA Target Shotgun rule book

#1 Post by JSHarris »

Attention Moderators- please pin this or add as a download somewhere.

Shooters- feel free to print and circulate as you wish.

Comments to me at targetshotgun@nra.org.uk

Second edition re-write in progress already.....

thank you

James
Attachments
TS handbook V1.pdf
(545.18 KiB) Downloaded 773 times
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: NRA Target Shotgun rule book

#2 Post by dromia »

Moved to correct forum ans stickied.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
The Cupcake Kid

#3 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

I've had a quick read through and it all looks very comprehensive.

One question - It seems .410 shotguns are allowed in target shotgun events. Has this always been the case or is this a change?

I would have thought the small amount of recoil you get with a .410 would be a massive advantage over 12 ga. shotguns, so shouldn't .410s be put in a different class, or given reduced size targets?
"Wherever Pie Man is, The Cupcake Kid will not be far behind"
JSHarris
Home club or Range: Old Windsor

#4 Post by JSHarris »

Thank you Dromia.

re the .410 being allowed, since this is the first edition the correct answer is yes they have always been allowed if one wants to be pedantic. In previous years they have been discouraged from taking part though no reason was ever given.

The rules specifically allow them in order to :
encourage ladies and yourh shooters
widen the prospective competitor base
provide owners of .410's etc more reason for owning them

I take on board your comment re easier to shoot however you may not have been aware that there is no lower energy limit for shotguns. There are some who shoot heavy weight 12guages with very very weedy slugs so the felt recoil is minimal. Additionally since the .410 is just over half the diameter of a 12g you need to hold a better aim than a 12g which punches bigger holes.

If it becomes apparent that .410's etc have a distinct advantage then they may be placed in a seperate class or scored outwards.

Time will tell if this is as big a problem as some people are making out.

And the 1st edition is not comprehensive , the second should be better unless I split it into a rules handbook and a training manual.

regards
james
The Cupcake Kid

#5 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

Thanks for the reply James, that sounds fair enough.

Let's see what happens once a few .410s appear on the line. It may be there are other issues with them that make them uncompetitive against the usual 12Ga. shotguns used (1187s, Benellis, etc.). Personally, i don't have much choice when it comes to what slugs I shoot because my gun needs a hefty load to cycle properly and I don't reload shotshells anyway.

It's taken me a fair amount of effort and time to get my 12G shotgun accurate and reliable so I'd be a bit miffed if it turned out the .410 is the better choice for the target shotgun matches.

Would it be possible to do something with the results for the spring into action weekend, so we can all see who shot what calibres?
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Sandgroper »

.410's allowed :shakeshout:

Might have to get myself a .410 - again!

The biggest problem I had with shooting solid from a .410 was getting the ammunition in the first place. For me, it was very much a load your own proposition.

Great fun in any case! :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#7 Post by phaedra1106 »

We started taking part in our clubs PSG last year but may not be able to continue, Durham have had my FAC for over 2 months for a change of address and variations. No problem with the variations but the firearms manager is not happy about the solid slug conditions (which they agreed to and put on last year). Firstly saying I had to be a member of the UKPSA to have them (wasn't last year when they gave me them) then that my club had to be.

At the moment it's still up in the air with the club having sent her information about the land and who runs the PSG section (all UKPSA members and the land owner is a life member), apparently they had the same thing with them 3 years ago so are not happy about it.

Meanwhile I'm stuck in limbo unable to buy or sell anything without my FAC or even if I can use slug at next weekends meet.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
greenshoots

#8 Post by greenshoots »

mmmmm winchester lever .410 brass made out of 303 this might get interesting

greenshoots
Green by Design
The Cupcake Kid

#9 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

Maybe someone here can shed some light on how competitive .410s will be in TS?

Are they inherently more or less accurate than a good 12G when shooting slug (deliberate, slow fire)?
Does the reduced recoil make a difference to group sizes, particularly double-taps and rapid fire?
What are likely to be the most popular .410 shotguns for TS?
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Sandgroper »

The Cupcake Kid wrote:Maybe someone here can shed some light on how competitive .410s will be in TS?

Are they inherently more or less accurate than a good 12G when shooting slug (deliberate, slow fire)?
Does the reduced recoil make a difference to group sizes, particularly double-taps and rapid fire?
What are likely to be the most popular .410 shotguns for TS?
I've never shot Target Shotgun, but have done a fair bit of shooting with .410's (solid and shot) when I had shotguns. I can't see a .410 being inherently more or less accurate than any other shotgun - comes down to the individual and his/her gun.

The biggest disadvantage a .410 will face is having the power for knocking over steel plates - IIRC the solid shot only weighs between 65 and 100 grains with 87.5 (1/5 ounce) being the most common. The other will be lack of choice in suitable .410 shotguns. Most will be full choke (fixed) and/or single shot bolt actions - the full choke will render most unsuitable (for solids) and the single shot bolt action will not to be to everyones liking. I know Rossi or Marlin (or maybe both) have added a .410 lever action to their line up. You also have the Saiga 410 and AR-15 .410's from Turkey, are they suitable? - possibly, but don't quote me.

If Strathpeffer RPC adopts target shotgun fingerscrossed - then I'll shoot it with a .410 because I like .410's and for no other reason than that! :good:

Edit: Forgot to mention the Mossberg 500 pump action could also be a contender for TS in .410.
Last edited by Sandgroper on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.