1st Rifle

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: 1st Rifle

#21 Post by Mike357 »

Alpha1 wrote:Dromia may even have one or two .303 for sale.
I was at Dromia's on Thursday and he has a single shot Sportco in 308, currently with open sights, it is very accurate and will leave you plenty for certainly another 1 or 2 rifles!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Blackisler

#22 Post by Blackisler »

ovenpaa wrote:Forgot to say, I have a WWI issue P14 that looks rattier than a ratty thing, scuffed and used. First time I shot it was at 800 yards with Christel watching fall of shot, all she said was "Elevation spot on, hit at nine o'clock"

It has a Brindles match trigger box, a reworked magazine follower so I can close on an empty magazine and a fine vernier rear sight, other than that it is erm.. standard. Even in such a state of 'tune' I doubt it is worth more than GBP375, they are stunningly accurate and hugely under rated rifles, and no, it is not for sale!

Based on a Mauser action, designed in the UK and built in the USA and chambered in .303 (The P17 was 30-06)
I would agree with you there re the p14 mine is "as issued " iron sights no mods an it will still out perform some dedicated target guns much to the displeasure of the target shooters :D
next would be my no4 again as issued then for fun my no5 and mauser k98A
Sim G

#23 Post by Sim G »

For your first rifle...... simples, get what floats your boat!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Convict_keeper

#24 Post by Convict_keeper »

LOL they all float my boat though

CK
Sim G

#25 Post by Sim G »

Reading in between the lines though, it seems that a "Tacti-cool" rimfire AR may be the prefered first........ yes? LOL
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Convict_keeper

#26 Post by Convict_keeper »

LOL Yup that sum's it up quite well Sim

CK
Sim G

#27 Post by Sim G »

Having looked at a lot of them and shot a fair few I would only plumb for a Spikes Tactical. That said, it's going to be the best part of 1500 quid for a tricked up version. But then for half the cost, the next best one is the Smith & Wesson MP15/22....

Sim G

#28 Post by Sim G »

Sim G wrote:Having looked at a lot of them and shot a fair few I would only plumb for a Spikes Tactical. That said, it's going to be the best part of 1500 quid for a tricked up version. But then for half the cost, the next best one is the Smith & Wesson MP15/22....
But the above was because I didn't know the HK 416's were available yet!!!!!

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110112202513002

Get on the phone and give him a deposit tomorrow!!!!

bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#29 Post by bnz41 »

convict keeper

Reference C&G at the shoot show, last time I spoke to him he's going but only to look around, not selling.

Hope this is of help...
Convict_keeper

#30 Post by Convict_keeper »

bnz41 wrote:convict keeper

Reference C&G at the shoot show, last time I spoke to him he's going but only to look around, not selling.

Hope this is of help...

Bummer :(