Virgin Reloader

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Stuck
Home club or Range: Diggle

Virgin Reloader

#1 Post by Stuck »

Hi all,

I've just purchased a new rifle for F/TR class & need to start trying my hand at reloading.

I've read a book or two & have someone who can show me the basics but I'd appreciate your opinions on equipment selection.

As I'm looking at F/TR class accuracy & consistency are more important than cost, but when it comes to the press itself I'm unsure what to spend my money on.

I'm working on the assumption that a single stage press would be the better option, am I correct?

RCBS seems to get good reviews, do you agree?

Thanks,

Mick.
Infidel
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Virgin Reloader

#2 Post by mag41uk »

RCBS Rockchucker is a great press and you would have no regrets.
Also look at the Hornady Lock and Load single station press.
Some good deals on the Hornady "starter" kit.
Optics Warehouse are good on RCBs gear.
Tony
rox

#3 Post by rox »

Stuck wrote:I'm working on the assumption that a single stage press would be the better option, am I correct?

A Rock Chucker will last you a lifetime. Take a good look at the Forster Coax too.

rox

#4 Post by rox »

rox wrote:
Stuck wrote:I'm working on the assumption that a single stage press would be the better option, am I correct?

A Rock Chucker will last you a lifetime. Take a good look at the Forster Coax too.

Might also be worth looking at what's on offer in this thread: http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12733

ukrifleman

#5 Post by ukrifleman »

Take a look at the Lee Classic Turret press, ( to check out the info, log on to www.leeprecision.com), the UK distributor is Henry Krank (www.henrykrank.com) it can be used as a single stage press or indexing turret.
They are a solid cast steel press and probably the best value for money on the market.
I use mine to load 14 calibres, from .357 to 30-06 with no problems.
ukrifleman.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use RCBS and Lee Cast Classic and much prefer the Cast Classic to work with and at under GBP100 they have to be worth a look. They also have a breechlock version for around the same price.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Stuck
Home club or Range: Diggle

#7 Post by Stuck »

Thanks all,

Can I also ask a quick question about cleaning cases please?

Do the ultrasonic cleaners work as well as the traditional tumblers?

Thanks again,

Mick.
Infidel
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would say go for stainless media tumbling if at all possible, JD Reloading are doing them at a super price right now and the results are very good.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
rox

#9 Post by rox »

Stuck wrote:Do the ultrasonic cleaners work as well as the traditional tumblers?
Ultrasonic cleaning can get good results (although I tried multiple ultrasonic baths - including commercial - and multiple solutions over a long period without real success). Even if you get it to work well, compared to stainless tumbling you'll need more expensive solutions, be limited in the number of cases you can process at a time, and it's quite a faff. I can't help thinking that the electronics, transducers etc. are less robust than a motor and rubber band.

Stainless gives great results but you still have to dry the cases, so it's a little more of a faff than vibratory tumbling but it does get the cases clean inside and out, including the primer pocket. There is a theory that when hardened carbon residue from the primer pocket finds its way into the leade, then gets picked up and engraved into a bullet, this can cause scoring damage to the barrel. I can't vouch for this, but stainless tumbling is about the only way to clean the primer pockets without manual handling of each individual case.

Note that the Thumlers tumblers are great for stainless tumbling, but as supplied they are not fit for wet processes since the inside of the barrel is unfinished. Mine had rust coming through to the outside after the very first use, and despite empty promises from the supplier to replace it I am now left with a rusty barrel that is literally falling apart at the seams. Make sure to thoroughly treat the inside if you want a lifespan of more than 12 months.

Edit: SP
TJC
Home club or Range: Bisley

#10 Post by TJC »

ovenpaa wrote:I would say go for stainless media tumbling if at all possible, JD Reloading are doing them at a super price right now and the results are very good.
+1