S-Class Competition - Cawdor 09/06/2012

Sporting-Class. Everything you want to know about this new discipline including course of fire, competitions, rifles, regulations and how to get involved.

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: S-Class Competition - Cawdor 09/06/2012

#11 Post by Sandgroper »

Thoughts on yesterday.

We shot S-Class alongside our F-Class shooters and to keep things simple, we shot under the F-Class rules and treated S-Class as simply a different rifle class. This wasn't wasn't a problem in itself but did highlight some points for discussion:

Distance
After yesterday, I would suggest a change to the ranges S-Class is shot over. While I improved at 600m, we all struggled in excellent conditions and the general consensus was to shoot it from 200-500m. We could expand on this and have it further broken down to A, B and C range classifications.
A 100, 200 and 300
B 200, 300 and 500
C 300, 500 and 600

It does complicate things, but it does have the potential open it up a lot more people. Personally, I will be recommending that the next S-Class competition at Strathpeffer/Cawdor is shot at the 'B' distance - it'll give a tighter competition and a shorter day for us.

CoF, sighters and targets.
The course of fire for yesterday was generous with timings but I sincerely doubt anyone when over the 5 minute time limit S-Class would normally have - so it wasn't something I was overly concerned about and it appears to be about right.

I was initially against sighters but I've had a change of heart after yesterday. The CoF was 10+2 and I have to admit I was glad I had the 2 sighters. However, it did up the round count and one of the F-Class shooters suggested that we reduce the number of shots in the CoF to save our barrels. This has merit, especially if the rifle in question is being used for stalking/pest control as well as S-Class. So I would suggest that the CoF is changed back to 7+2 or down as far 5+2.

I can't remember much about the target we were using except it was optimised for 300m and was tiny at 600m! I think the current targets we've been using for the postal comp are more than suitable, but I won't know for sure until the next leg of the postal comp is shot.

I can't of anything else to add except that I think the basic format is sound and is definitely worth it! :shakeshout:

PS - From yesterday's results, I know the .17 Hornet isn't Deer Legal but I wasn't going to say no and it was pretty good effort! clapclap
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

It sounds like a good time was had by all and I am really pleased to see the discipline is slowly gaining interest, I was contacted yesterday by someone who wants to run the same format of competitions elsewhere in the country which is good.

So to recap, sighters are back in, this I do agree with as we are always going to be as a disadvantage when shooting alongside F Class shooters.

I will add the three distance classes to V5 of the document and reduce the suggested CoF and post it up on the Sporting Class site. http://sporting-class.com for discussion.

Anything else need changing?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#13 Post by Sandgroper »

Not that I can think of. It was great to shoot it all at once as it gave a better picture of the whole format.

I don't know how to integrate the three different distances classes, maybe we don't - just leave to individual clubs?

BTW That's great news about the interest in S-Class. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.