22 High Velocity Indoor

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
25Pdr

22 High Velocity Indoor

#1 Post by 25Pdr »

Anybody know of an indoor Rimfire Range that doesn't allow High Velocity Rimfire to be used?

E.G. Eley Club ME 105 Ft Lbs against Federal Eagle HV ME 138 Ft Lbs

Just some members beating their gums as usual. Nothing mentioned on Range Safety Cert. about max. ME or Fps.

Anybody know if NSRA has a view on HV ammo.
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: 22 High Velocity Indoor

#2 Post by 20series »

It's normally down to the range cert, or club rule although I don't think the old Perkins range had any restrictions

however the Cambs OUTDOOR range near Yaxley has a planning permission restriction forbidding the use of super sonic ammo.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

NSRA rule make no mention of velocity.

8.2 AMMUNITION
8.2.1 All bullets or projectiles must be made wholly of lead or similar soft material.
8.2.2 Small-bore other than lightweight sport. Rimfire 5.6 mm (.22 in) calibre, Long Rifle.
8.2.3 Lightweight sport rifle.
8.2.3.1 Rimfire 5.6 mm (.22 in) calibre, Short, Long or Long Rifle.
8.2.3.2 Airgun projectiles 5.6 mm (.22 in) or less, of any profile.
8.2.4 Air. Flat headed projectiles of calibre 4.5 mm (.177 in) .
8.3 RIFLES
8.3.1 Triggers must be adequately guarded. The grip for the right hand must not be constructed in such a way that it
rests on the sling, if permitted, the left arm or the ground.
8.3.2 Small-bore other than lightweight sport. All rifles chambered for rimfire 5.6 mm (.22 in) Long Rifle
cartridges are permitted. Even if the rifle has a magazine, only one cartridge may be loaded.
8.3.3 Lightweight sport rifle. All rifles chambered for ammunition as in Rule 8.2.3.1 and air or CO2 rifles of calibre
5.6 mm (.22 in) or less are permitted, subject to:
8.3.3.1 the overall weight, including sights and all other accessories, and including, if used, a glove, shall not exceed
4.5 kg;
8.3.3.2 the trigger must support 500 g (1.1 lb) weight;
8.3.3.3 when used with a magazine, the rifle shall not be loaded with more than 10 cartridges or projectiles, even
though the magazine may be of a larger capacity.
8.3.4 Air. Any type of compressed air or CO2 rifle of calibre 4.5 mm (.177 in).
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
25Pdr

#4 Post by 25Pdr »

Good bit of Info 20series......Thanks. :)
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

25Pdr wrote:Anybody know of an indoor Rimfire Range that doesn't allow High Velocity Rimfire to be used?

E.G. Eley Club ME 105 Ft Lbs against Federal Eagle HV ME 138 Ft Lbs

Just some members beating their gums as usual. Nothing mentioned on Range Safety Cert. about max. ME or Fps.

Anybody know if NSRA has a view on HV ammo.
Unless its a competition...what does it have to do with NSRA?

It's down to range safety cert, (HMMM which may be issued by NSRA) which nowadays just means within the fps and ft Lbs. Mind you, club committee can stipulate what they like, within safety cert constraints...one of mine says no high velocity (above 1140 fps) but everyone shoots what they like (22LR) unless there is a jobsworth about. That said, any stingers and I'll kick them off! NB ... some ammo will pop in one rifle but not another...depending on barrel length etc.

Range safety cert only valid provided club keeps within original drawings eg sand gradient of back stop, ricochet risks (stones in sand, build up of led, flags etc etc), standing, kneeling, sitting, prone; bafles...etc etc

Let's face it, there is nowt more accurate than Tenex subs..around 1080fps.

The club may also attract the attention of the Police if members put in for variations for 303s to be shot at a miniature range. :oops:
25Pdr

#6 Post by 25Pdr »

Cheers for that Rob. :)