Bullet heads?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Re: Bullet heads?

#21 Post by Sim G »

Robin128 wrote:So long as people know what you are talking about what's the problem?

It's the nit picking twits I will not put up with...you know, those that fly against the wind, even against the Firearms Acts just to split hairs and try and look big.

Christel, I know what you are talking about, and so does everyone else.

;)

Rob
:?:
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Robin128

#22 Post by Robin128 »

:?: :?:

Rob
Sim G

#23 Post by Sim G »

Just me Rob. I've just come off a twlve hour night shift and didn't get what you were saying, even though I read it three times....

Read it a fourth and think I got it. More or less what I said...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#24 Post by Graham M »

Robin128 wrote:So long as people know what you are talking about what's the problem?

It's the nit picking twits I will not put up with...you know, those that fly against the wind, even against the Firearms Acts just to split hairs and try and look big.

Christel, I know what you are talking about, and so does everyone else.

;)

Rob
:? :? :?
So anyone who wants to use the correct nomenclature is a "nit-picking twit"

And when we try to educate the media by teaching them the difference between a rifle cartridge and a shotgun cartridge (I heard the press at Cumbria refer to a shotgun using “Bullets”, we are "nit-picking twits".

And when the media refer to our hunting rifles as “Weapons” and we try to explain that they are NOT weapons, we are "nit-picking twits".

And when we start to teach a novice how to reload and teach him/her the correct terminology i.e. “Stand the case full of powder in its head”, we are "nit-picking twits".

Can’t get my head around this, because any other sport has no problem using the correct terminology without any problem, so why is it such a problem to use it here.
The head of the case is the base, hence “Head separation”.
The copper and lead bit at the front is a “Bullet”.

Or am I being "nit-picking twit". :? :? :?

G.M.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Robin128

#25 Post by Robin128 »

Let's just give you one example where we do not do ourselves any favours with the antis and general public.

Weapons.

A gun is a weapon FFS.

All of the Firearms Acts refer to guns as weapons.

It's just that we use them for sporting activities...they are still weapons.

Yet, we still manage to get bent out of shape over the semantics.

For as long as I drawer breath guns are weapons. Get used to it. It's freedom of speech.

If Christel wants to refer to bullets as heads, I coudn't care less. I know what she is talking about. I wouldn't mind betting that between Christel and David there is more knowledge and relevant experience on weapons and reloading than most individuals have on here.

Let's stop being anal about this.

Right, look out, incoming!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob
Ovenpaa

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well as it was/is Christel who's terminology is at question I feel obliged to point she is a Johnny Foreigner and English is not her first language so it is possible some terms are lost in translation, in fact she has only lived here and used our language a dozen or so years. Anyway I tend to nod my head and agree when she says things so I am partly to blame here :oops:

The bottom line is she a less than mechanically minded soul in a man's world and the terms I take for granted she often struggles with. If nothing else it gives us a woman's perspective on shooting related things ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#27 Post by Sim G »

ovenpaa wrote:Well as it was/is Christel who's terminology is at question I feel obliged to point she is a Johnny Foreigner and English is not her first language so it is possible some terms are lost in translation, in fact she has only lived here and used our language a dozen or so years. Anyway I tend to nod my head and agree when she says things so I am partly to blame here :oops:

The bottom line is she a less than mechanically minded soul in a man's world and the terms I take for granted she often struggles with. If nothing else it gives us a woman's perspective on shooting related things ;)
Oh paa, 10 out of ten for the "get out of jail free" answer!!!! :lol:

But minus 100 man points....... ;)

Sim G

#28 Post by Sim G »

Robin128 wrote: A gun is a weapon FFS.

All of the Firearms Acts refer to guns as weapons.

It's just that we use them for sporting activities...they are still weapons.

Yet, we still manage to get bent out of shape over the semantics.

For as long as I drawer breath guns are weapons. Get used to it. It's freedom of speech.

Right, look out, incoming!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob
Huddle behind your sandbag.......

The legal definition of a "weapon" is an article, made, intended or adapted to cause bodily injury to a person. Is that what you have your weapons for? No, I doubt it. Hence, not weapons.

I have carried and used weapons. On my operational tour at 18 years old and then as a front line bobby, with baton and CS. On a weekend, my guns are sporting equipment. The "weapons" terminology in gun clubs is so wrapped in machismo. We all have the wannabes in our clubs and I'd put them in the category of bordering on undesireable.

The police and the media may very well refer to our sporting equipment as "weapons" and so project that image, often in a negative way to the public at large and every thing else that goes with that. We, the shooters, have to change that perception and if it means splitting hairs and semantics, then so be it.

For the fact remains, keeping our sport is a huge PR battle, get used to it.......

Ovenpaa

#29 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sim G wrote:Oh paa, 10 out of ten for the "get out of jail free" answer!!!! :lol:
But minus 100 man points....... ;)
Heh! - Well when my every internet move is being monitored.... :D :D On a serious note living with a 'foreigner' regardless of how good her grasp of out language is leads to what can best be described as 'odd' conversations and we tend to mix our languages up somewhat to the degree that the pair of us will throw Danish words into conversation and I for one seldom have a true understanding of the proper meaning of the word I use.

Have you finished night shifts now?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#30 Post by Robin128 »

Yep, just checked all Firearms Acts since '68 and stopped counting the word WEAPON after 20.

Sorry Sim...apparently, they are weapons, mate. Oddly enough, BASC think they are weapons too...OMG!

All the gun shops down this neck of the woods, and Tim Hannams know what heads are and none strangely enough want to be pedantic.

Christel....if he gives you any more grief, hide his key safe key...including the spare.....owww, where should that be kept?

Rob