Pietta 44 cal cap & ball

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

woodsman

Pietta 44 cal cap & ball

#1 Post by woodsman »

Hi i need some help i hope to shoot my new [to me] Pietta 44 cal pistol next sunday what weight of black powder should i use ?? would be greatfull for any help. Andy sign85 any???? sign92
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Pietta 44 cal cap & ball

#2 Post by meles meles »

sufficient, but not too much...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

Whistle for Dromia, he'll know the real answer...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

I use 27gr of fine powder but that's just me - suggest you get the Lyman Blackpowder book.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
ukrifleman
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by ukrifleman »

Depends on whether it has a brass or steel frame.
ukrifleman.
Mikaveli

#6 Post by Mikaveli »

Black powder is generally measured by volume, not weight... Whenever you see BP load recommendations, I can almost guarantee they'll be talking about volume. If you weigh it, depending on the specific powder, you could be up to 20% above or below your desired load!

Also, as others have said, whether you have a steel or brass framed gun is important. For a steel framed gun, somewhere in the region of 30 - 35 grains would be considered a max load. Whereas the limit for a brass frame may be as low as 15 - 20 gn.

For target shooting, anecdotally and from my own experience, a load around 20 - 25 grains is usually the most accurate (assuming it's safe for your gun).

If you've never fired you BP gun before, be careful how you load it. Leaving an air gap between powder and ball can be dangerous - as can too much compression. If you're shooting a light load, you'll want to know your load lever / rammer has sufficient travel.

Best bet is to get a guy at your club who's already familiar with BP shooting to show you the ropes. He'll be easy to spot (about 65, with a white beard and dirty hands) :)
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#7 Post by channel12 »

In my Pietta Remington 1858 .44 cal revolver I use 26g fine BP because I measure by volume and that what a 1.6cc Lee powder scoop throws. I use a fibre wad and .454 cal round ball. I cast my own ball from a Lee double cavity mould. A small amount of grease is put on top for bullet lubrication and it makes the fouling easier to clean off the frame. You can buy various wonder products or make your own using white veg fat sold for pastry making mixed with some beeswax. Lube the cylinder mandrel with this as well, as again fouling seems to get in there.
Buy some phials to make up measured loads, see ebay under laboratory equipment and a small funnel for pouring powder into the chambers, got mine from Hobbycraft.