Bolt action Sec 1 shotguns

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Dangermouse

Bolt action Sec 1 shotguns

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

Last year I took part in the 100 and 200 yard slug comp held during one of the bigger comps at Bisley.

Afterwards I started thinking that a bolt action SG with a magazine was what was called for and quickly found that Mossberg do (or did) just that and that Second Hand models could be picked up for under £100 - probably as no one wants them.
I found one at Armalon and was planning on going and looking at it the day D Bird went stupid. That stopped me in my tracks.

Now that things have quietened down a bit I am tempted to look again.
Does anyone have any ideas of other options or know if sight rails could be fitted to these?

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
25Pdr
Past Supporter

Re: Bolt action Sec 1 shotguns

#2 Post by 25Pdr »

Bought one of these recently...It's a Mossberg 395 12Ga. It's on a Shotgun Certificate so the two shot Mag is welded in place.

It is a bit slow to load with the fixed mag, but it is well made and is surprisingly light considering it looks a bit like a heavy calibre rifle.

It was £150 second hand and I bought it on an impulse, use it occasionally for clays. Can't work the bolt fast enough though for a second shot.

Never tried slugs, but it has a fully adjustable Polychoke. It comes with fixed sights and the receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope.

Another of my fun guns.
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

Thats the idea, good to hear it has holes for a mount.

Bench rest slug match anyone?

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Time to start making your own slugs DM?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#5 Post by Dangermouse »

Reloading gear for SG appears to be cheaper than that for full bore and I have "watched" a few rigs for sale on flea bay, but have yet to buy. I am not sure if any greater accuracy can be achieved with home loading slug, but it would bring the cost down.
It would be very easy to spend a lot of time developing the perfect load and I am careful not to get caught up in another time consuming part to this hobby.
But I just might!
DM
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#6 Post by pe4king »

A bloke at out club loads his own slug 19p per round and that is using new primed hulls, certainly beats the $hit out of 60p for factory especially as he shoots a Siaga with a 25 round drum mag :D
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Dangermouse

#7 Post by Dangermouse »

Midway UK are selling a press for £55.95 at the moment - no idea how good it is but at that price cheaper than 100 Slug.
http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpa ... mID=436640

I looked into the cost of components from Midway and felt that there was not much in it between hand loading and factory produced. For the time being I am going to leave it alone as I am pursuing other pipe dream, but will speak to someone who hand loads 12 Guage slug at the Phoenix.
It would probably come into its own if you were prepared to cast your own slugs,

DM
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#9 Post by pe4king »

It would probably come into its own if you were prepared to cast your own slugs,
Thats what makes all the difference especially if you have a plentiful lead supply, you wouldnt want to be buying them as you say its not really any cheaper that way
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Dangermouse

#10 Post by Dangermouse »

Jeez that is fast, around 25 seconds a cartridge, had no idea it was that fast.
The press looks a bit wobbly, I wonder if it is just because he has not bolted it down to the table?

I really don't want to be messing around with molten lead but this does look attractive,

DM