NRA vs NSC

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
Robin128

Re: NRA vs NSC

#11 Post by Robin128 »

Well, if its rubbish, you tell me what is wrong, Karen.

If you have got the right people at the top why does the NRA keep failing us?

Can't these wonderful NRA leaders get the strategy right?

:D
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#12 Post by dodgyrog »

karen wrote:
Robin128 wrote:
It's a clear case of strategy and structure...I suspect the old guard is live and well at the top and there will be no changing them because doubtless they have made it difficult for anyone to oust them from their dictatorship.
Sorry but thats rubbish!

Every single member of the NRA can put themselves up for General Council, Trusteeship or even Chairman. However every time we ask for volunteers for these positions we get hardly any volunteers.

The majority of people currently in these positions work EXTREMELY hard for no reward - if you want to make a difference put yourself up for election.

There may very well have been that mentality in the distant past but I can assure you that it no longer exists.

Love

karen
Karen,
I believe it is courteous to declare an interest - what is your position at the NRA?
I did put myself forward for election and failed to achieve the required number of votes - what the result was and who won the position I couldn't tell you as nobody from the NRA had the courtesy to tell me. I may well make a second attempt but I'll probably be p*****g in the wind.
I also put in for a position on the NSC board, for which I believe I have suitable credentials (I am a director of the Federation of Small Businesses - 210,000 members - offices in London and Brussels) and run two small businesses. I didn't even get an interview and when I asked what part of my application and cv let me down was told that the person reviewing couldn't be bothered to respond as he is too busy. I wonder who got the job and if he had 'connections'.
I do NOT accept that Council members no longer represent the 'establishment' - I don't see them when I visit Bisley or when I put a trade stand on at the major events. They don't mix with the grass root shooters and are completely out of touch with them.
I feel I do not get represented well as a target shooter and plinker. I don't do TR or F class as my competitive days are past - I shot at the highest level with pistols and got sold down the river by all the shooting organisations except the NPA which went the way of the dinosaur.
I'd like to be a member of an organisation which gives me pride in membership and the NRA has a long way to go to redeem itself.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
karen

#13 Post by karen »

If we had loads of money then the NRA would be delivering all over the place - you would be heartily sick of seeing new NRA ranges and clubs being developed!

If all the people who shot joined the NRA then we would have more money to do those things.

We lowered the memberships rates to encourage more people and we did get lots more members but not enough to make a significant difference.

There has been a lot of work to try to reopen Dechmont but unfortunately I don't think it has come to anything - the will is there but finances and bureaucracy have got in the way.

The NRA is NOT a Surrey based club - it wants to do so much for the UK but without the money it can't!

Any millionaires out there who wish to leave all their worldly goods to me or the NRA I promise I will spend it wisely :D

Love

karen
karen

#14 Post by karen »

Um I think I already have declared my interest in one of the first posts on this part of the Forum! Have a look at "Introduction" in the NRA section

I am sorry you haven't been successful in the elections but the results are usually published straight away after the results are announced.

As regards the Board unfortunately this has nothing to do with me but I will certainly pass your complaint onto those who can do something about it. Four people were successful but none had "connections" - I work at Bisley, am on GC and I had never heard of or met any of them!

As for
I do NOT accept that Council members no longer represent the 'establishment' - I don't see them when I visit Bisley or when I put a trade stand on at the major events. They don't mix with the grass root shooters and are completely out of touch with them.
You do see them I am sure - they don't go round with flashing signs or wearing blazers with fancy badges as they are out there shooting with the "grass roots shooters". There are a couple of Trustees who don't shoot that regularly but the majority do. I can assure you that they are most definitely in touch and they most definitely do mix with grass roots shooters.

Unfortunately I don't have time to get into a big argument over this as I have the Gallery Rifle Handbook, the Bible and the next Journal to get finished this week . . . :cry: However next time you are at Bisley pop in and have a coffee (or beverage of your choice) with me and we can put the world to rights!

Love

Karen (hopefully not considered part of "The Establishment"!)
dodgyrog

#15 Post by dodgyrog »

Karen,
I do not consider you to be Establishment and I respect you, Heather and Maureen - you do stirling work.
I have used the phrase lions led by donkies before and I believe that to be the case in the NRA.
The Federation of Small Businesses (an organisation the NRA could emulate) have 2 primary objectives:
Retain what members we have (we retain 85%) even in this incredibly tough period for our members - just surviving is a result!
We do that by offering exceptional member benefits and by lobbying for our members.
We pride ourselves as a member led organisation. Nothing earth shattering there.
Maybe the NRA should go back to basics and listen to its customers - the members.

Now I must go and cast more boolits - I have customers waiting which will never do! :D
dodgyrog

#16 Post by dodgyrog »

By the way, you should get Glynn Alger on this site! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

karen wrote:If we had loads of money then the NRA would be delivering all over the place - you would be heartily sick of seeing new NRA ranges and clubs being developed!

If all the people who shot joined the NRA then we would have more money to do those things.

We lowered the memberships rates to encourage more people and we did get lots more members but not enough to make a significant difference.

There has been a lot of work to try to reopen Dechmont but unfortunately I don't think it has come to anything - the will is there but finances and bureaucracy have got in the way.

The NRA is NOT a Surrey based club - it wants to do so much for the UK but without the money it can't!

Any millionaires out there who wish to leave all their worldly goods to me or the NRA I promise I will spend it wisely :D

Love

karen
That just highlights my point exactly, no leadership.

Of course money is an issue but if we follow your logic here then there is no reason to join the NRA as it can't afford to have a national foot print anyway. If our future is dependant on on the luck of an endowment then the NRA can fold now as shooting needs more than that. Do we become proactive and shape our own destiny or just lie back and be a victim.

A good strategic direction for example would be for the NRA to say that by 2015 for example we will be ready to build one regional 1000 yrd range north of Birmingham. To do this we will need £x? million. To raise this sum we will need x number of new members to allow us to borrow £x million, we will also look for x% to come from private sector investment, philanthropy, grants and help in kind supported by £X million from NRA/NSC coffers and income. Setting out tangible costs and targets to scrutiny would enable all to see where they could fit in.

As soon as you do something like that you have a plan, you have something tangible for people to strive for. That would help build regional membership because regional shooters could see a direct benefit from being in the NRA.

The money should not be a barrier, if 75% of UK full bore shooters joined the NRA would this give us enough for regional ranges? I don't know. Does the NRA? Until figures like this are out there then such statements about membership have no value.

We also need to see some lateral and innovative thinking about realising some cash from the asset of Bisley to help regional development, maybe Surrey shooters need to give up a little to help the nation a lot.

Being stuck in a catch 22 situation gets none of us anywhere, I don't think that a stand off 'tween the NRA and UK shooting community is helpfull. It takes leadership, vision and passion to make things happen and that should come from the NRA as the body that puts itself forward to represent UK full bore shooting.

When Glyn Alger took over he was making these noises and I was heartily happy, believing that sense was going to come to the NRA, he visited the regions and appeared to listen and promised to come back and listen regularly, well he isn't doing that anymore and we are once again bereft of leadership and vision to galvanise British shooting.

I am sorry but until the NRA makes a meaningful regional presence it will remain a Surrey based club despite what people like you and I might wish.

Unless the NRA walks its talk its national footprint will be just talk.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
John25

#18 Post by John25 »

dodgyrog wrote:
karen wrote:
Robin128 wrote:
It's a clear case of strategy and structure...I suspect the old guard is live and well at the top and there will be no changing them because doubtless they have made it difficult for anyone to oust them from their dictatorship.
Sorry but thats rubbish!

Every single member of the NRA can put themselves up for General Council, Trusteeship or even Chairman. However every time we ask for volunteers for these positions we get hardly any volunteers.

The majority of people currently in these positions work EXTREMELY hard for no reward - if you want to make a difference put yourself up for election.

There may very well have been that mentality in the distant past but I can assure you that it no longer exists.

Love

karen
Karen,
I believe it is courteous to declare an interest - what is your position at the NRA?
I did put myself forward for election and failed to achieve the required number of votes - what the result was and who won the position I couldn't tell you as nobody from the NRA had the courtesy to tell me. I may well make a second attempt but I'll probably be p*****g in the wind.
I also put in for a position on the NSC board, for which I believe I have suitable credentials (I am a director of the Federation of Small Businesses - 210,000 members - offices in London and Brussels) and run two small businesses. I didn't even get an interview and when I asked what part of my application and cv let me down was told that the person reviewing couldn't be bothered to respond as he is too busy. I wonder who got the job and if he had 'connections'.
I feel I do not get represented well as a target shooter and plinker. I don't do TR or F class as my competitive days are past - I shot at the highest level with pistols and got sold down the river by all the shooting organisations except the NPA which went the way of the dinosaur.
I'd like to be a member of an organisation which gives me pride in membership and the NRA has a long way to go to redeem itself.
Council member, live on site, work for NSC, shoot PSG, 'F' class, GR (Practical), BP, No sliver spoon here. What do you call not grass roots?

:)

If you have any prticular problem PM me.

Professionalism demands I say no more except that the comet is coming!

Best wishes,

John
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#19 Post by dromia »

dodgyrog wrote:Karen,
I do not consider you to be Establishment and I respect you, Heather and Maureen - you do stirling work.
I have used the phrase lions led by donkies before and I believe that to be the case in the NRA.
The Federation of Small Businesses (an organisation the NRA could emulate) have 2 primary objectives:
Retain what members we have (we retain 85%) even in this incredibly tough period for our members - just surviving is a result!
We do that by offering exceptional member benefits and by lobbying for our members.
We pride ourselves as a member led organisation. Nothing earth shattering there.
Maybe the NRA should go back to basics and listen to its customers - the members.

Now I must go and cast more boolits - I have customers waiting which will never do! :D

Don't start me on the FSB Roger especially when I've got the bit between my teeth with the NRA. :evil:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Robin128

#20 Post by Robin128 »

Define the approriate strategy ... put in place leadership that is really behind said strategy... and things might just change for the better.

Now that Iain Robertson, vice-chairman, NRA Shooting Committee has joined the forum, perhaps he would like to comment.

:D