Some old revolvers and a couple of newer vintage handguns

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Re: Some old revolvers and a couple of newer vintage handgun

#31 Post by Sim G »

The Blackhawk Convertible was a catalogue item for a couple of decades. I may be right in thinking that after dropping the "model", it's available again. The .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, so no issues with a correctly manufactured cylinder to take this into account. The cases are ejected like the .45 Colt cases in the appropriate cylinder, with the ejector rod.

The Smith & Wesson 625 in .45 ACP, didn't necessarily need moon clips to function, but every now and again, you would get a light strike as the cartridge moved forward under the force of the hammer blow. Full moon clips made it ultra reliable, they in themselves acted as an en-bloc speed loader and empties were really easy to find....

If you want to see how the problem of a rimless case in a revolver was handled without any form of clip, google the ill fated Smith and Wesson 547 revolver in 9mm, designed for the French police....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
rufrdr

#32 Post by rufrdr »

The S&W .45 revolvers chambered for the ACP round have a step in the chamber to prevent the rounds from simply sliding through and falling out the front. You don't have to use clips with the rounds to make it function. I use auto rim cases because the clips are a nuisance for me, pulling the fired cases from the clip requires a tool of some sort. I used to use a fired .30-06 case to pop the fired cases out of the half moon clips.

Over the years I've had three other S&W 1917s and a Colt 1917 in .45 auto chambering. Great revolvers but the issue grips are extremely skinny and makes the revolver hard to hold on to in rapid fire. I can't imagine what it was like with cold, wet hands in the trenches!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Tower75

#33 Post by Tower75 »

I'm showing stupidity now. What are auto-rim cases, rufrdr? Or, have I mis-read the term?
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
PaulR

#34 Post by PaulR »

Tower75 wrote:I'm showing stupidity now. What are auto-rim cases, rufrdr? Or, have I mis-read the term?
It's a rimmed .45 auto case designed so that you don't have to use a half moon clip. I have some somewhere that I could photograph but I'm sure that Wiki covers it.
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."
Tower75

#35 Post by Tower75 »

Ah, I see. Cheers.
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Paul-Andrzej

#36 Post by Paul-Andrzej »

Made my day happening on this thread! I also could cry my heart out.

I picked up my second deactivated Webley & Scott Mark IV in .38 on Friday. Early deact and in very nice condition.

No picture because I just can't get the hang of that. See the photos way back in the thread and there's one or two there.

The other is a late deact and whilst in good order, not finished anywhere near as good as the old deact. It's newer too.
Paul-Andrzej

I'm not happy, but I'm not unhappy about it. Alan Bennett.