Pimping the BR99

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Blackstuff

Re: Pimping the BR99

#31 Post by Blackstuff »

:shakeshout:

I wish i could help with the mil-spec/commercial buffer tube. I could maybe do some forum stalking on AR-15.com and see if i can find anything useful. I suspect that the difference came about because of some daft US (or more likely Californian) firearms legislation and there'll be no advantages to either, but some people might favour the mil-spec one, just so they can say it is mil-spec....
DVC
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#32 Post by Demonic69 »

Mil spec is narrower but thicker at the threads and is specified as a stronger alloy than commercial, which could really be made out of anything.
From my mooching around I'd say commercial is best as you get a much better selection of stocks

I don't read my own signature!
Blackstuff

#33 Post by Blackstuff »

From a cursory look about forums and Youtube, the focus of the milspec Vs commercial topics seem to be relating to the threads and materials used, both of which are irrelevant in this instance :roll: Looking on Midway's website most (all but one) of the Magpul stocks are for mil-spec tubes, however reading other forums it looks like Magpul make them for both tubes and now looking on Brownells that seems to be the case. I love the definitive answers you get in the firearms world(!) :lol:
DVC
Dangermouse

#34 Post by Dangermouse »

Here is a stupid thought.

I have seen lots of air soft stocks that are considerably cheaper than full bore AR stocks and they are readily available. It appears that the difference is in how they attache. As we don't need the internals is there any value to at least researching the possibility of using them?
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Blackstuff

#35 Post by Blackstuff »

Hmmm, while i'm always up for using lower cost (and sometimes quality :oops: ) products were it doesn't really matter, i wouldn't fancy relying on an airsoft grade stock to hold up to 12g recoil....

Does anyone who shoots CSR on here have an opinion between mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes??
DVC
Blackstuff

#36 Post by Blackstuff »

Having asked on other forums about the availability of stocks for either the commercial or mil-spec buffer tubes, the consensus was that most stocks were available for both tubes, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Making whichever is easiest (read: cost effective :grin: :lol: ) is probably the way to go :good:
DVC
bofor
Home club or Range: Great WesternShooting Club

#37 Post by bofor »

ovenpaa wrote:My understanding is the BR99 lower is not the same as the pre XN version of the Akdal1919 and they will not interchange without some work. The good news is I have a BR99 lower in right now for measuring with a view to building lowers in 7075T6. These would include a larger magazine well with flared entry and provision for an AR15 stock and would include a rear tube.

I will build them if I can gain sufficient interest.
I am new to this site, but seen this advertised on F4i. I am interested in getting a Bora 99 and would be interested in the new suggested lower from you.

Thanks
John
John
    dromia
    Site Admin
    Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#38 Post by dromia »

Welcome to Full-Bore UK!

Why not introduce yourself on the New Members forum?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
    Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
    bofor

#39 Post by bofor »

Your right, just done so. :good:
    John
      bofor

#40 Post by bofor »

ovenpaa wrote:
      phaedra1106 wrote:So, would you be able to supply the whole thing ready fitted, ie. Bora 99 + lower and stock and a couple of mags?
      Yes I can do that.
      If the price was right then I would go for the WHOLE deal.. :shakeshout:

A gun and fitted lower by the same dealer makes more sense, unless you already have it.
      John