Long Range .22RF meeting

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Dougan

Long Range .22RF meeting

#1 Post by Dougan »

Sunday saw the first (after two successful private trials) Long Range .22RF meeting run by the NRA.

The weather report for the day looked awful, but we got lucky and only had a few light showers...in fact the conditions weren't bad at all for lobbing little 40 gn lumps of lead several hundred yards.

The classes were split into MRSB (match rifle small bore (scoped)) and TRSB (target rifle small bore (open sights)) - There was an aggregate for 100, 200 and 300 yards (5 sighters and 10 to count at each distance), an aggregate for 400 and 500 yards (5 + 15) and an overall aggregate.

At 100 we used a scaled down NRA target - the bulls-eye was very small, so I was pleased with my 49...but then found out that there had been two 50s...one scoped and one with open sights.

At 200 we used the standard TR target - I've practiced a few times at this range, which maybe made me a bit complacent, and forgot just how much a gentle but changeable breeze can effect .22s...finished with a 45 (now 2 point behind the leader).

We also used the standard target at 300 - I got my act together and was very happy with another 45...however the leader also shot a 45, which left me in second place for the short range Aggregate.

In the afternoon we moved back to 400 yards - Beyond 300 yards the wind starts to do weird things to the little bullets, so we were using a 600 yard target - Despite the conditions getting trickier there were some good scores, and it was definitely shown that this is still a shootable distance for .22.

Then back to 500 yards (still on a 600 target) - Many of us found the extra 100 yards exponentially difficult in comparison - I had run out of elevation on my scope and was having to aim at the top of the target - Between the makers having difficultly spotting shots and my own confusion, even with 5 sighters I managed a total miss with my first to count...I finished holding the 4 ring (with a couple of bulls), and decided that I'd have scored much better with 15 sighters and 5 to count razz

Not everyone struggled so badly though - I had the pleasure of shooting next to an excellent lady shooter (Carol) who, aiming off with a BSA TR rifle with open sights, managed to put all 15 shots in the scoring rings...there were a good few bulls, but at that distance the 3s and even the 2s really count...

...Carol finished as the winner of the overall aggregate for TRSB, and I won the overall for the MRSB.....but this isn't much of a boast as only 2 shooters with scopes shot all the distances.

On the down-side, only 18 shooters competed - Personally I find this disappointing as it's an inexpensive discipline that can be shot in so many different ways - Also, new markers were being broken in, and towards the end of the day they weren't the best...

On the up-side - Again we had a great RO (Mike Mead) who despite the challenges and message 4s coming in thick and fast towards the end kept his composure and smile - Also, although only a small competition, the new Head of Shooting (Peter Cottrell) was there all day personally supervising the event, dividing his time between the markers and competitors (the sort of commitment I haven't seen much of in the past), and the Deputy Head (Sally Wilson) was there in the morning to greet us with our squadding cards and brief...so we got quite the treatment... :good:

Also, there was a quick prize-giving at the end, with some really nice meddles inscribed with the event details handed out - I didn't fell I really deserved one (due to the low numbers of MRSB shooters) but it was a nice touch, and something to remember the day by :grin:

There's already talk of another meeting in October...which I'll give the details of as soon as I know them.

Some piccies to follow...
Dougan

Re: Long Range .22RF meeting

#2 Post by Dougan »

The new 100 yard point on Century has held up well through the wet winter...
.22 Long Range 27.4.14 (reduced).jpg
The first detail at 300...
.22 Long Range 27.4.14 (reduced 2).jpg
Note the special high-tech bench-rest shooting chair tongueout
.22 Long Range 27.4.14 (reduced 3).jpg

If anyone wants more info on Long Range .22RF please feel free to ask here or PM me...
DW58

#3 Post by DW58 »

Interesting stuff.
Blu

#4 Post by Blu »

Dougan, looks like it was a fun day out and not too shabby a scores either mate, well done despite being beaten by a girly without a scoped rifle :twisted: (sorry mate couldn't resist). So are you the feller at the bench or the old geezer laying down? BTW who was the winner of the silliest hat of the day competition? Seriously though it looks like you had some good fun, nice one mate.

Blu :twisted:
Dougan

#5 Post by Dougan »

:lol:

Yeah Bisley has a fashion sense all of it's own - The chap at the bench is Richard (a real gent) who started the trial events last year - I'm taking the photos, so not in them...but due to the forecast was sporting 'realtree' rather than my usual TR cap and cravat razz

It is a lot of fun - That was our 3rd meeting, and the best conditions we've had so far...they're a hardy bunch, and while everyone wants to shoot well, no one gets too put out when it goes awry at the longer ranges.

I think it's a really cool discipline...it's very satisfying when you get it right, but also easy to get wrong...which makes it quite addictive...
Blu

#6 Post by Blu »

Dougan, it just goes to show that it doesn't matter the calibre of the rifle, the type of discipline it is or even the location of the range. For me this is what shooting is all about, getting out there and having fun without it getting all serious, this is a part of grassroots shooting and not the big posh events were folks shoot for trophies. This is a part of what shootings is all about, doing it for the pure enjoyment of it.

Blu :twisted: