Catton Rifle Shoot

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Catton Rifle Shoot

#1 Post by meles meles »

Well oomans, we've just cleaned our rifles and popped them back in the safes, dined on a nice platter of our own sett-made pasta and beef in tomato sauce, washed down with a nice glass of cabinet sobernone and are now warmed up enough to reflect on our day at Catton Park.

It was a cracker ! The rain squalls were coming in horizontally from Scandisqueagia, driven by a wind that was gusting up to 38 mph ! Despite that, the sun kept popping through to illuminate the targets from time to time and, as usual, there was an array of superb scran and hot coffee on offer to keep the chill at bay. The ladies in the burger van truly offer Fortnum and Mason quality at McDonald prices - just try their venison burgers !

There were a couple of other FullBoreans present and we all had great fun chasing golf balls around the field at 280 - 300 mards ! We were using our jungle carbine for the job, others preferred .223 tacticool kit for the task. Our K31 gave a great account against the 400 mard fox plates, out-perfoming some rather more costly ironmongery. An ooman was using a Ruger .44 Magnum against the long range targets too, the noise made by its big bullets carving tunnels through the moisture laden air earning it the soubriquet "The Whistling Ballista". It also made holes in the wild boar targets big enough for us to fit two 7.62 rounds through...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Catton Rifle Shoot

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

Golf balls! That sounds like fun... :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Rburro2

#3 Post by Rburro2 »

It was ace fun had a great day we were the tacticool lot
M99

#4 Post by M99 »

Hmm not sure about the cool! I still don't think the mag pouches and drop leg kit were needed for a plod around some fields......

Was good to share a Bale with the badger whilst he was shooting 'at' the golf balls with a bit of timber. The 223's bounced them about well, the 6.5/55 smashed them in to tiny pieces :twisted:
Rburro2

#5 Post by Rburro2 »

Just in the interest of fact, the drop leg kit was not worn it had been left in the car after last trip to bisley. I wanted practice my positional shooting so all the kit was necessary as it what I usually shoot in.
ChrisB

#6 Post by ChrisB »

It was well run, well attended, well mannered, well catered and well priced.

Good day.

Not sure about the high seat though!!
Rburro2

#7 Post by Rburro2 »

300lb I doubt that very much
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#8 Post by meles meles »

The hangin' taters made satisfying splats when hit too !
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Grinder

#9 Post by Grinder »

Must attend once i get some 'proper' kit, sounds like good fun!