Help with Magpies

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

brookine

Help with Magpies

#1 Post by brookine »

I will be shooting well and in the "v" or "5" and then i have some fly aways, magpies or outers that are near magpies. What could be the problem?
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Help with Magpies

#2 Post by 20series »

Firstly welcome to the forum, normal form is to introduce yourself in the new member page :D

As for your issue it's common malady known as "Nutt behind the butt itus", generally caused by lack of concentration or a touch of the "invincibles" i.e I'm doing well and can't go wrong!!

Or it could be an ammo issue, or fouling in your barrel

fun this shooting lark :D

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

brookine wrote:I will be shooting well and in the "v" or "5" and then i have some fly aways, magpies or outers that are near magpies. What could be the problem?
Morning Brookine, welcome to the forum, flyers can be down to many things, so some questions. What distance are you shooting at, what discipline and what sort of rifle and ammunition, is the dispersion vertical or horizontal and is it one particular location you shoot at?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

A warm welcome to the forum Brookine.

I can see you posted at 2 in the morning here, whereabouts are you in the world or are you just a very early morning bird?

:D
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

brookine,

Welcome to the forum and hope you have some interesting debates.

:D
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#6 Post by Mike357 »

Hi Brookline!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
brookine

#7 Post by brookine »

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and replying so quickly.

I shoot with a swing rifle, fullbore, 300 - 600 yds and the dispersion is all over. Some high, some low. Sometimes I'm shooting and all shots are left and others its right. Just can't seem to keep a tight group.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#8 Post by 20series »

brookine wrote:Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and replying so quickly.

I shoot with a swing rifle, fullbore, 300 - 600 yds and the dispersion is all over. Some high, some low. Sometimes I'm shooting and all shots are left and others its right. Just can't seem to keep a tight group.
OK I'll put serious coaching head on now :o

Does your club have an Intructor/Coach, it sounds to me that a good back to basics setting up session is needed, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get all out of shape.

If you are happy your basic position, it could be just an issue of Natural Point of Aim.
try a Zero point exercise.

Get your self in position and settled on the aim
without moving your head just move your eyes from behind the sights
and breath in and out a few times
look back through the sights
if its not aligned then you need to adjust to suit.

just my two penneth
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

brookine wrote:Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and replying so quickly.

Given that is is a Swing I assume you are shooting Target Rifle then, are you using issued ammunition or loading your own?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
brookine

#10 Post by brookine »

Thanks for the information. I will definitely try that because i do find that when i am in the aim, i am moving my head all over the place to get a better view of the aiming mark.

Yes it is target rifle and we use issued ammo., no re-loads.