Help with Magpies

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Dangermouse

Re: Help with Magpies

#11 Post by Dangermouse »

I would suggest letting a shooter who you know is a good shot have a go with your rifle to see if you can narrow the fliers to the rifle or to something that you are doing.

Much of what you are describing could be the affects of wind. Not knowing how much experience you have at target shooting makes it difficult to formulate an answer for you.
Wind coming head on will have a different affect to wind coming from the rear, knocking the strikes high in one case and low in another.

I would suggest having a read on the affects of canting your rifle. If you do not have a bubble on your rifle, you may be surprised at how much it is possible to cant your rifle before your eye picks it up. It does not help that many target backers are not on level and anybody using them as a reference point can become un stuck.

Have a read here for more info: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... -explains/

The condition of your barrel may be a factor as well, but try and eliminate one thing at a time,
We assume that you are using consistent ammunition? I don't have much time for RG any more, it has it's limits,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
brookine

#12 Post by brookine »

Thanks for that information. Some more experienced shooters did shoot it and felt that the back sight was not working properly and they replaced it. Can a loose iris also affect shots? I do have a bubble on the rifle and i have been trying to ensure that the bubble is level. I will definitely read the site you sent me as i am very frustrated and just trying to correct things. So i do appreciate your taking the time to respond in trying to help me.
rox

#13 Post by rox »

brookine wrote:Can a loose iris also affect shots?
Anything loose in the sight system can have an effect. There should, at most, only be the tiniest amount of play at the rearsight aperture. There inevitably has to be a slight amount, to permit movement. Some sights are spring loaded so that, while there is some slack, it is always taken-up by the spring so the sight remains in the same position. If you have some play it can sometimes be temporarily overcome with a rubber band. If you have a 6-hole aperture make sure it is correctly located in one of the indexed positions, and not in between positions.

Make sure you are using a sensible rearsight aperture. Something in the range 0.9mm to 1.1mm. Over 1.2 is not recommended. Make sure you are aligned to look through the center of the aperture, with a firm and consistent cheek pressure. You should not be using neck muscles when looking through the sights.

Southern_Guy

#14 Post by Southern_Guy »

What size rear sight aperture are you using? 0.8 ->1.0mm is about right. If you are using a much bigger rear aperture that could easily account for the random wide shots. Also if you are moving your head around, you will not be getting a consistent aim.
Good luck
Guy