CSR Introduction day

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Maggot

CSR Introduction day

#1 Post by Maggot »

Re the above, if you are remotely interested in CSR, or just shooting from any position other than prone with a bipod, its well worth a look.

The course was very well run by Peter Cotterel, Martin camp, Bradders and many other members of the CSR set on Century over 1 day.

£70 well spent

CSR is said to be rapidly growing and ok, while I realise that people are enthusiastic about something new, I can see why.

They are not out to make squaddies out of you, but it does require good drills and handling, safety awareness goes without saying, and the ability to get on aim quickly and precisely and release a shot with very little time to spare.

It also requires a bit of a run and multi positional shooting. It has been a hell of a long time since I did this sort of thing, and the great thing Is that there are sensibly and fairly divided classes which means that although you all shoot exactly the same courses of fire, but are scored only against those using like rifles.

A lot has been said about CSR shooters moving with rifles made ready etc and safety. Each shooter is partnered with another shooter who is watching the whole time to ensure that the safety is set when it should be and parameters are adhered to.

Peter and the team running the course have obviously put a lot of thought and prep into it, which is a credit to them, the CSR movement, and they should be rightly proud of this growing discipline.

From a personal point of view I was pleased to find that drills I learned as a teenager nearly 35 years ago were still in there.....shame I cant shoot straight but there you go. I felt at home very quickly, but no doubt that will change with a bang on an actual comp.

Mr Bradley was a gent and spent a lot of time talking me through the various methods and ideas, while trying not to be too scathing about my old wooden rifle or my occasional outbreak of Tourette's tesnews

Seriously, try it. Although I think a few people had a shock when they tried shooting from some positions (something that would be much easier with their own rifles) everyone enjoyed it, even the butts.

The butts were well run, and because you are using mostly hand held Fig targets, is much less wearing on the back. This also means that because you are working for your buddies, you can expect a good standard of targets from the markers.

I am signed up for the first winter league which will no doubt be emotional, but standing there with one up the spout, standing alert, waiting for the target to appear and get on aim really concentrates the mind. You feel very live very quickly.

Does anyone want to buy a Dolphin.......?

M
techguy

Re: CSR Introduction day

#2 Post by techguy »

See you on Sunday! Glad you enjoyed it, as did I when I did my taster last year!

CSR is certainly a challenge, and they're a good bunch. Even Bradders. But don't tell him I said so ;)
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by IainWR »

They are not out to make squaddies out of you, but it does require good drills and handling, safety awareness goes without saying, and the ability to get on aim quickly and precisely and release a shot with very little time to spare.

A lot has been said about CSR shooters moving with rifles made ready etc and safety. Each shooter is partnered with another shooter who is watching the whole time to ensure that the safety is set when it should be and parameters are adhered to.

Indeed.

CSR is allowed to operate because qualified and experienced people act as Safety Supervisors (see the NRA Handbook para 108) to supervise shooters moving with loaded firearms one-on-one. To participate fully you need to gain that qualified and experienced status. Anyone at all may turn up, but until they have that status, they are a burden on everyone else because they can't join the rota of 1 shooting, 1 supervising, 1 resting and 1 in the butts. Please, do the Intro day, get the qualified and experienced tick, and join in fully.
techguy

#4 Post by techguy »

Resting?! There's no resting in CSR!
John MH

#5 Post by John MH »

New competitors wishing to get involved in CSR are never considered a burden and are willingly given all the necessary help and supervision required to ensure that they enjoy themselves, learn and improve.
Cad Monkey

#6 Post by Cad Monkey »

Maggot, I look forward to meeting you on Sunday. From what I gather you will be easy to spot or should I say hear :lol: should I bring a swear box along, it just might help pay for the beer :cheers:
Thorney

#7 Post by Thorney »

Agree entirely, I enjoyed my one day in CSR last year and the only reason I've not been back is that I lack any real distance shooting experience so I want to improve that before coming back. Times as ever is the issue. They are a great bunch though and it's a fun way of shooting.
M99

#8 Post by M99 »

Ive also entered for Sunday, be something different and hopefully be a good day out!
froggy

#9 Post by froggy »

Thanks VM Maggot for that thread and your feed-back. :good:

I tried to enrolled on last Saturday 27th course but it was full. It sounds very good & I am defo enrolling the next one in November.
techguy

#10 Post by techguy »

Thorney wrote:Agree entirely, I enjoyed my one day in CSR last year and the only reason I've not been back is that I lack any real distance shooting experience so I want to improve that before coming back. Times as ever is the issue. They are a great bunch though and it's a fun way of shooting.
Come back and shoot more often then... the only way you get better is by doing :D